The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HamRacer -the SW with the synthesized voice keyer -available for download now  (Read 1791 times)
OK1FIG

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2018, 04:49:12 AM »

HamRacer, the contest software for HF/VHF with the unique synthesized voice keyer, is now available for download:
http://ok1fig.nagano.cz/HamRacer/HamRacer.htm
It needs Windows 2000 or newer. For the best experience with the synthesized voice keyer Windows 10 is required.
73, Petr, OK1FIG/OK1P

KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 07:56:37 AM »

Very interesting program Petr. Thanks much for releasing it. I played around with it for an hour or so in a simulated SSB contest. Here are a few of my SSB findings/comments about your program. (coming from a CW guy)

1. Super easy to use & understand. Very intuitive. I glanced over the manual after I had already been using the program for 45 minutes or so.

2. In theory, operating an entire SSB contest without a microphone is easily doable. No more sore throat, no more keeping the kids/XYL up at night with the incessant melody of SSB contest exchanges.          

3. There's a lot of extra room on the panel with the UTC clock on it. This would be a great place for a Check Partial.

4. The delay in SSB voicing after pressing an F keys is too long. My PTT Lead Time was set to it's default of zero. I also checked/unchecked the Voice Buffering box but no difference was heard. Upon instantly repressing an F key the latency is not too bad. If no F keys are pressed for 6 seconds or so the long SSB voicing delay returns.

5. Only 5 contests are supported and only 2 of those would interest most people. Those being WPX & CQWW.

6. There should be a way of automatically logging worked stations with the F key macro of {LOG}. You should also be able to log with a simple press of the Enter key. Having to press Cntl-Entr like it is now is old school & unnecessary.    

Regardless, it's about time a truly plug 'n play SSB contesting voicing program was released. There's a provision for it on N1MM & others but it's a pain individually recording all the characters/words/letters. I have no doubt someone could partake in a SSB contest within 5 minutes of downloading your program..............Great job!!!

Tom KC0W

OK1FIG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 01:58:28 AM »

Hello Tom
Thanks for your comments. Really appreciated.

2. I already ran several contests like that. I take MIC to my hand only if I want to greet a good friend in Czech language.
Another advantage: you can eat and drink all the time during a SSB contest, hi.

3. Is is not exactly empty. A large colorful arrow will show up there when you run a contest in a real time. If it is green and points up your rate is increasing and you should keep things running like that. If it is red and pointing down your rate is decreasing and you should think about a change to make it better.
I will consider Check Partial. However, so far I stuck to a philosophy that HamRacer doesn't use data created by someone else.

a) Use a reasonably fast PC
b) Avoid other resource-greedy programs run in parallel or in background
c) Use Windows 10 and default voices (David, Zira)
d) [X] Voice Buffering must definitely stay switched on all the time
e) Keep you messages short
A fixed message, or a message with a macro that doesn't change (such as {MYCALL}), should be played almost immediatelly after pressing Fn or Enter. If a message contains a macro that changes (typically {CALL}) it must re-spoken to a buffer after each change. Therefore if you just finished typing a call and press F1 immediatelly, there can be a slight delay. But no problem, look how CQ WW DX contest looked like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDPJp72oSiU

5. On purpose there is no selection of known contests. There is a wizard where you can set up what you need. Therefore it is no hassle to configure something atypical like Stew Perry.

6. Good topic for a discussion.
I wanted to keep sending messages and storing a QSO separate. This enables me, for example, to press Enter to reply "TU DE... TEST" in the middle of typing the received message. This showed up as a big advantage in a very fast CW RUN traffic. While you send "TU DE ..." you have a plenty of time to finish typing and pressing Ctrl+Enter.
Simple Enter cannot be used to store QSO. It is already used for sending messages. It is crucial as Enter is the most easy key to hit. Again, important in very fast CW traffic. See Help for more details.
Anyways, if you suggest another schema of buttons to control it I will consider it as an option.

73, GL, Petr OK1FIG

KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 07:34:46 AM »

Thanks Petr.

I will give HamRacer a try in some SSB contests this year. The last time I spoke into a microphone was roughly 55,000+ CW QSOs ago. In my strange little world operating a SSB contest while using computer voicing will still keep my CW only mantra intact.  Smiley

I believe the up/down arrow denoting QSO rate is unnecessary. That space could be put to a lot better use with Check Partial, Zones/States needed etc. Speaking of Zones...........

Having the program automatically fill in the other guys Zone would be a great addition. I understand on rare occasions someone might be contesting from a different Zone but (probably) 98% of the time when you work a DL, F or EA station they will be in Zone 14. When you work a JA station they will be in Zone 25, etc. etc. The least amount of keyboard entering one must do in a contest the better. Automating the entry of Zones would be a good idea.

I might have some other suggestions regarding HamRacer after trying it out in a big SSB contest. The fact that you are at least willing to listen to constructive comments is 99% of the battle...............BTW, your English writing skills are fantastic!!!  

Tom KC0W                    
OK1FIG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 12:03:52 AM »

Hello Tom

Regarding the pre-filling: in some cases you don't have to fill in the field. For example, on VHF, if you have worked the other station in previous contests (which you can see also on the panel on the right) and the station gave you always the same locator (95% of STNs behave like that in Europe) you can press Ctrl+Enter w/o typing the locator.
I am not yet decided how to make the pre-filling of zones. Maybe I will use the same mechanism when the zone is definite (it is not 3/4/5 or 16/17).
There is still a lot to do. On the other hand I want to keep HamRacer that simple, easy-to-use and reliable.
BTW I saw your callsign collection on QRZ.com. Marvelous!

Thanks for your comments. It helps!
73, Petr
OK1FIG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 03:52:30 AM »

As requested by many I have implemented the possibility to control PTT through DTR/RTS signals on a (virtual) COM port. Interesting for those without the WinKeyer. The link remains the same. 73, Petr
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 05:28:38 AM »

Can the voice keyer be set to use international phonetics?  ALFA BRAVO CHARLIE, etc.
KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 05:33:27 AM »

Can the voice keyer be set to use international phonetics?  ALFA BRAVO CHARLIE, etc.

You have obviously not even tried out the program with a question like that.

Tom KC0W
OK1FIG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Today at 03:53:12 AM »

@ Tom, KC0W: I can't find your email address anywhere. Would you please drop an empty email to: ok1fig@seznam.cz. 73, Petr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: