The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much space should a ham radio computer have?  (Read 2504 times)
N1AUP

Ignore
« on: January 09, 2018, 04:39:27 AM »

To those of you who are using PCs in the shack, doing things like logging, echolink, talking to an SDR, RTTY, CW, etc, how much hard drive space should I be spec-ing?  I have some old 300 gig drives, and after spending a lot of money on station upgrades, I was thinking of using one of these to build a Win 7 installation. 

Is this enough space, or should I be looking at terrabytes?

Thanks
N1UKX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 04:47:14 AM »

I have 500 gig for the ham computer and I'll never fill it so I'm thinking 300 gig is plenty....
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 05:59:18 AM »

Two drives here: 256 GB SSD for system and all programs.  It's 60% full.  Second drive is 1 TB hard drive for all data including a lifetime of photos and a lot of music.  About 50% full.  Both drives backed up periodically to same size hard drive.  In case of failure, can just swap in the recent backup.
ON5MF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:04:06 AM »

To those of you who are using PCs in the shack, doing things like logging, echolink, talking to an SDR, RTTY, CW, etc, how much hard drive space should I be spec-ing?  I have some old 300 gig drives, and after spending a lot of money on station upgrades, I was thinking of using one of these to build a Win 7 installation. 

If you have 300Gb drives available, why not use 2 in your pc?

Unless you want to save pictures etc. on your PC 600Gb should be plenty of space. My hamradio PC runs on a single 256Gb SSD with plenty of space to spare. Moreover, the more space you have the more garbage you accumulate on your HDD/SSD.

Mostly (low power) rtty contesting using OQ6A, sometimes dxing using ON5MF
in november '14,'15,'16,'17 and '18 also OP5MF, special prefix in commemoration of 100 years WW 1

www.on5mf.be
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 03:31:00 PM »

My ham radio machine has a 256GB SSD and has never exceeded 100GB, even though I like to play with software.  I installed a spare 1TB in it for backups, but that's way overkill.  Two 300GB drives would be ideal. Any bigger and you're probably just wasting the space unless you also use it for a storage server. 
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 03:54:55 PM »

I use a 250GB HD on a Win7 Pro 64 Dell Vostro machine and 8GB RAM with a I5 Quad core. Thats the way it came from a HS lease cancellation. I paid more than that for just a P4 m

The main PC is the same but I swapped in a TB HD and did the same for my sons identical PC.

Carl
KG7WBW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 04:04:51 PM »

Don't forget to make frequent backups that are stored on and off site!

73!

KG7WBW
Jade Shain
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 06:27:06 PM »

Don't forget to make frequent backups that are stored on and off site!

73!

KG7WBW
Jade Shain

Good advice regarding backups. I have two duplicate portable HDs with copies of all software, and other files. Storage is cheap, no reason not to back things up.

As for keeping them off site, it all depends on what you have on the computer. In my case, if the QTH goes up in smoke, the computer and what is on it, will not even register.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 06:31:59 PM »

Thanks

For what you plan on doing, 300 gigs should suffice. Re-using them is a no-brainer, except that they may use different interfaces, depending on their vintage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: