The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rude, Nasty Posters on eHam  (Read 2654 times)
N8FVJ

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2018, 03:26:17 AM »

I never heard such rude comments from a poster here at eHam. Post after post discrediting my tech expertise, personal life & even my job ethics. Yet, the person does not know me at all. eHam even removed a new post from me with all the nasty comments. This person should be banned from posting for 30 days. Where is the moderator?
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 06:10:48 AM »

The casual reader has no idea what you're complaining about.  Not everyone is dialed into your world, OM.  Complaining about the mods on THEIR website is pretty lame, too.

KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 01:21:32 AM »

Civility is lacking at times, especially in the Misc section. It should be called the Sandbox. Many threads have been locked, as they should be.
It is best not to respond and become part of the fray. It is best to use your Report button if you feel that the offending post violates the Terms or Conditions.
 I would like to think that we are all here to promote the hobby as ladies and gentlemen. It was pointed out to me (politely) that this isn't necessarily the case.
 It is fine to disagree, but it is not fine to berate a fellow member. Some feel the need to do that.
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 05:12:42 AM »

That is so true.  I do enjoy the fact that one can use the "ignore" function and some of the elitest/rude commentators are hidden from few.  Makes for a more pleasant experience.  Sad one has to use that function but if it does the intended job it is there for, so be it.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 08:18:53 AM »

Guys, you make excellent points.  I might also suggest that just because someone posts a "where is the civility?" rant on here, that there is almost always much more to the story, on here and/or on QRZ.  Rarely have I seen an innocent get smoked on here.

The civility that we all desire comes from all directions, not just from those who reply to posts.

KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 11:57:19 AM »

Perhaps thin skins and not responding well to technical critiques coupled with a persecution complex is at play?
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 12:20:32 PM »

Perhaps thin skins and not responding well to technical critiques coupled with a persecution complex is at play?

Oft times it is a pompous gasbag -- moored like a WWII barrage balloon -- whilst generating a dozen useless threads a day about his credentials and alleged genius to support a fragile ego...  not that I am naming anyone specifically.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 12:26:00 PM »

I might also suggest that just because someone posts a "where is the civility?" rant on here, that there is almost always much more to the story, on here and/or on QRZ.  Rarely have I seen an innocent get smoked on here.

Absolutely agree.

Completely agree.

Yes indeed!
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 09:59:21 AM »

Oft times it is a pompous gasbag -- moored like a WWII barrage balloon -- whilst generating a dozen useless threads a day about his credentials and alleged genius to support a fragile ego...  not that I am naming anyone specifically.

Ha, LOL!  Yeah, and the only thing keeping me from saying “hey, that’s me!” Is that I don’t know enough to pull it off.
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 08:44:33 PM »

It's the same typical mental illness that is affecting the majority of the country these days. Muck raking, insulting, belittling and other negativity is the norm from Washington politicians and sports figures on down to even us Amateur Radio operators. Somewhere along the way negativity has cancelled out being positive, respectful and considerate. It's a sad sign of the times and the downfall of the late, great United States.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 08:48:55 AM »

Some of this is a worldwide phenomena that seems to be the result of using electronic media to communicate. It's difficult to convey the nuance of spoken conversation in text form, which can result in misunderstandings of intent and meaning. Couple that with the 'bravery of being out of range' effect. People seem to say things on social media that they'd never say in person, or at least they would likely phrase their conversation differently.

KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 06:17:50 AM »

We are living in a Very Non-Cohesive society at this point in our history...
   I agree, another symptom of our civilization's and nation's decline into anarchy.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 12:55:22 PM »

It's the same typical mental illness that is affecting the majority of the country these days. Muck raking, insulting, belittling and other negativity is the norm from Washington politicians and sports figures on down to even us Amateur Radio operators. Somewhere along the way negativity has cancelled out being positive, respectful and considerate. It's a sad sign of the times and the downfall of the late, great United States.

Mostly agree, but I think you're being melodramatic.  

The hobby is unique in that it attracts many, many people who are social misfits.  Many with some level of Asperger's/Autism spectrum disorders, and that doesn't lead to socially engaging, polite people.  It's ALWAYS been that way, and not likely to change anytime soon.  And look at the notables on here, who drop in to make some of the most bizarre, outlandish posts.  NONE of them have particularly impressive lives, and many are hermits in their radio caves, at least as evidenced on their home pages.  Obese, slovenly, unwashed....and for them the internet is a dream come true. Post whatever idiocy they like, and the reactions are swift and extreme.

What seems like "everybody" are usually just a few.  The mods could give stats on web hits by lurkers, and they would smoke any numbers that the goofballs (like KTN) put up with their actual posts.

So, don't be discouraged.  Lots and lots of good people here, in spite of the frustrating elements.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 12:58:24 PM by K9MHZ » Logged
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 05:52:59 PM »

I read a letter to the editor of a local newspaper yesterday. It made me feel like I was lowered into a dimly lit snakepit, it really did. Sick, underdeveloped people and their opinions are not limited to the current time nor the current tech... but their reach is considerably better nowadays.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 08:22:41 PM »

Sick, underdeveloped people and their opinions are not limited to the current time nor the current tech... but their reach is considerably better nowadays.

Amen.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: