The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What produces "months" response on eHam Reviews?  (Read 1114 times)
K4FMH

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2018, 08:51:10 AM »

I've sent an email to the Reviews Admin but got no response...perhaps someone will answer here.

The Length of Ownership question on the Reviews submitted by users has categories for response. However, there is a small number of all reviews (~1,700) that just have "months" in the Time Owned: field on the website. This is distinct from the "unknown" response.

Does anyone know what user behavior produces this "months" field?

Frank
K4FMH
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 08:54:01 AM »

Frank

In cases like this it's always helpful to provide a URL (link) to the subject page.  Can you provide such a link?

Thanks

Mike N2MG
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 09:03:08 AM »

Mike,

Here's one of about 1,700 or so:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/review/81409

Frank
K4FMH

Frank

In cases like this it's always helpful to provide a URL (link) to the subject page.  Can you provide such a link?

Thanks

Mike N2MG
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 12:09:09 PM »

Thanks.

Sorry if I am less adept at this part of the site than I should be, but how can you tell how many reviews have the "months" issue? (You cited a number like 1700)

Mike
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 12:16:10 PM »

Also, you say it also appears as "unknown" ?  Can you provide an example?

Thanks for the help!
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 12:45:41 PM »

Mike,

Here's a frequency distribution of all Time Owned fields. These are the actual contents of eHam.net/reviews fields as seen by when a user reads the reviews....which I webscraped last week:

months                          1743     1.4%
0 to 3 months              53156   41.4%
3 to 6 months              13813   10.8%
6 to 12 months             12727    9.9%
more than 12 months  45172   35.2%
unknown months           1704     1.3%

My question is what produces the 1,743 "months" versus the no response "unknowns"?

I'm analyzing the individual ratings so I want to include rating variations by specific product by length of ownership...best practices as a statistician to understand the data!

Frank
K4FMH

Thanks.

Sorry if I am less adept at this part of the site than I should be, but how can you tell how many reviews have the "months" issue? (You cited a number like 1700)

Mike
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 01:01:50 PM by K4FMH » Logged
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 12:48:02 PM »

Mike,

Here's a frequency distribution of all Time Owned field contents. These are the actual contents of eHam.net/reviews fields as seen by when a user reads the reviews....which I webscraped last week:

months                          1743     1.4%
0 to 3 months              53156   41.4%
3 to 6 months              13813   10.8%
6 to 12 months             12727    9.9%
more than 12 months  45172   35.2%
unknown months           1704     1.3%

My question is what produces the 1,743 "months" versus the no response "unknowns"?

I'm analyzing the individual ratings so I want to include rating variations by specific product by length of ownership...best practices as a statistician to understand the data!

Frank
K4FMH

Thanks.

Mike
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 01:26:25 PM »

Frank
K4FMH

The reviews are considered data? I can't take the 5 star reviews seriously.

For myself, the reviews serve the purpose of revealing common issues, or faults.
Most gear is a compromise, barring any overt issues, all the manuals/features are available online. I wouldn't give reviews much weight.
NA4M

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 05:53:51 PM »

Mike,

Here's a frequency distribution of all Time Owned fields. These are the actual contents of eHam.net/reviews fields as seen by when a user reads the reviews....which I webscraped last week:

Frank
K4FMH

Thanks.

Mike

Frank  -   I'm the Reviews Manager.

A quick look and I found the following example of a displayed review with the "Time Owned" field set to "months" instead of the usual choices.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6958

I can only assume there must be others as well as those with something in the "Time Owned" field set to something that is returning "unknown months" - perhaps a blank/empty field.   If you are scraping the entire reviews database as well as the displayed reviews there is no telling what might turn up.

I've no clue how "Time owned" gets set to "months" or something other than the normal choices unless it's a a left-over effect from the early eHam.net site days when the code was sometimes in flux.

73 Phil NA4M
eHam Product Reviews Manager

p.s. Never received your email.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 05:55:53 PM by NA4M » Logged
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 06:31:18 PM »

Phil,

Thanks for your reply. OK on the "no clue" answer. I'll put that in any documentation of the reviews dataset, etc. It's better to ask and get no explanation than assume or something.

I sent my email as directed on the Reviews website to "productreviewsmaster1[at]eham.net" with the [at] being converted to @. You might check that email queue to see if it's reflecting to your email address properly, etc.

Frank
K4FMH

Mike,

Frank
K4FMH

Thanks.

Mike

Frank  -   I'm the Reviews Manager.

A quick look and I found the following example of a displayed review with the "Time Owned" field set to "months" instead of the usual choices.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6958

I can only assume there must be others as well as those with something in the "Time Owned" field set to something that is returning "unknown months" - perhaps a blank/empty field.   If you are scraping the entire reviews database as well as the displayed reviews there is no telling what might turn up.

I've no clue how "Time owned" gets set to "months" or something other than the normal choices unless it's a a left-over effect from the early eHam.net site days when the code was sometimes in flux.

73 Phil NA4M
eHam Product Reviews Manager

p.s. Never received your email.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: