Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microphone Settings for DX  (Read 638 times)
MW5EPA

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2000, 03:18:02 AM »

Why do so many DXers set their Microphones up to boost the low level tones. It's very nice modulation & sounds a really "sweet" tone like a "valve sound" does this really work for DX. Common Sense Suggests that boosting the High tones would give a more pearcing sound for breaking the pile up. Or is it that most people I've heard using this setting have KWs at their disposal so don't need to do this.
I would be interested to know as I would like to get the most out of my Audio

73 Rob MW5EPA
VK2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2000, 06:06:11 AM »

Over 50 % of the stations I hear are "boosting" everything they got (high, low and distortion and especially the last) by turning up their mike gain far too high. They probably think that the few extra watts output will make them a big gun - not realising that they need 4 x the output to gain only ONE S unit.....!!!! Sometimes their audio is so distorted that they are barely readable. Please folks... turn down that mike gain and make your audio readable. A bit of extra medium and high (up to 2000 Hz) in the spectrum will not hurt but the main thing is good audio and not a flat topped bunch of splatter.
Henk - VK2GWK
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2000, 08:44:19 AM »

Agreed! Too many stations seem to follow the belief that "If Some Is Good, More Is Better, And Too Much Is Just Enough!".
I know it's hard to resist the temptation to wring every last nanowatt out of your radio, but Geeez...isn't the whole point of this to COMMUNICATE? Overdriven, broken, splattery audio does NO ONE any good. Learn to use the ALC meter, and believe it.
73, Jim  KQ6EA
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2000, 10:27:04 AM »

The "DX" microphones (Heil for example) boost the highs, NOT the lows.

http://www.heilsound.com/HCElements.htm

This is a totally separate issue from the problem of guys overdriving their audio stages, rigs, or amplifiers.

73, Mike N2MG
webmaster
K5IQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2000, 02:42:04 PM »

There are really several issues at work here.  Besides the folks who subscribe to the "crank it up" philosophy to which others here have alluded, there are the "Hi-Fi" SSB operators who use all sorts of fancy mikes, compressors, limiters, equalizers, processors to achieve a rich, warm, powerful presence on the air.  You'll frequently find these cats around 14.190+/- discussing the finer points of high-fidelity sideband.

Now, some of these folks HAVE come up with pile-up busting audio, but since the human ear is optimized for sounds in the mid-range, the hams who really seem to slice through the ravening hoards usually have audio shaped for maximum energy in the 300 Hz to 3 kHz range.  Bob Heil (who probably understands this topic better than anyone) makes his DX mikes to have a boost at, as I recall, around 2 kHz.

In my estimation, audio below 300 Hz may give some warmth, but there is the danger of adding muddiness as well.  High frequencies--say those above about 7 kHz just add to the overall noise floor, and don't necessarily add to intelligibility.

All of this doesn't take into consideration all sorts of audio processing, some of which can be very sophisticated (check out what broadcasters do to make themselves "loud").

Of course, when we add middle-aged (and older) hearing loss, things get even more complicated.  Oh well...

Bob
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2000, 08:02:19 PM »

...'cause "YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: