Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This weekend's contest.  (Read 561 times)
K9CF

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2000, 04:13:14 PM »

OK--we've got a bunch of operators calling CQ contest.
I'm not in the contest--too new to see the point I guess.  Should I respond?

What info are they going to ask for?  The last time I answered a cq contest they asked for my section.  What's my section?

What info are they looking for from a non-com?
Thanks
de k9cf  Mark L. Martin
KB8UUZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2000, 06:10:38 PM »

By all means - DO answer the calls to CQ.  There are a couple of reasons.  Even if your not in the contest going for points, they are.  And, they would appreciate the point they get for you.  The contest exchange is the signal report and CQ zone number.
Another reason - it's a nifty way to work stations for your DXCC award, or better yet Worked All Zones award (WAZ) - there are 40 zones in the world - it's harder than you think to work and confirm ALL the zones!!  Hey - Have Fun - And Go Fo It!!!!

Tom - KB8UUZ
K5IQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2000, 01:11:43 AM »

Even if you aren't into the contest thing, the CQWW is a great way to make a bunch of DX contacts, and to make contest participants happy with another point.

By the way, you're 5/9, zone 4, 73 and good luck in the contest!

Bob
K5IQ
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2000, 09:27:34 AM »

Welcome to contest season!  A lot of the biggest contests occur during the next few months.  They can be intimidating at first and I applaud your desire to join in.

Search the eHAM calendar for upcoming contest events.  Hopefully, there will be an entry in it for the exact contest you are interested in, with a link to the sponsor's rules page.  That rules page is the "Horse's Mouth" and should tell you or direct you to all the things you need to know like the exchange and info about sections, zones, etc.

Hint: CQWW "zones" are different from some other "zones" used in other contests.

73 Mike N2MG
webmaster
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2000, 12:15:40 AM »

The contest you are hearing is the CQ World Wide DX contest.  While contesters certainly appreciate points from non-contesters, stateside to stateside contacts count for NO points in this contest.  Many US stations will find it annoying to be answered repeatedly by other stateside stations in this particular contest.  Take advantage to this 'test to work a little DX yourself.  Contest rules are available in many places.  CQ and QST magazines offer brief synopsis of major contests to get you pointed in the right direction.  Also the websites maintained by CQ magazine and the ARRL will help with rules for the contests sponsered by those respective organizations.  DX contests are poor events to fatten your log with US QSO's but great places to work new DX countries.  Take a few moments to inform yourself of the particular contest and its goal.  For example, the 10 meter contest coming up in early December is an everyone works everyone format, no holds barred.  Feel free to call anybody, in this case all contacts count for points.  Other contests (like Sweepstakes for instance) will be virtually all US participants with very little DX.  Also the contest exchange is much more complex.  The November CQ magazine has an article on contesting in its beginner's column that would be helpful.  It lists the dozen or so major contests each year and the approximate dates, so you won't get taken by surprize again.  Please DO give contesting a try, it's stimulating, addictive, instructional and above all FUN.  And fun is, indeed, the point of contesting.  You're 59 in Colorado, thanks for the contact and good luck in the contest!
K9CF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2000, 02:55:29 PM »

Thanks all for the answers.
Hmmm, I'll sit these few contests out for a while.  It seems the prizes will be won by the guys who are much more serious than I.  I'll make a few cqs and probably answer a few that arn't piled up.

There was another contest on CW this past weekend.  Everyone was calling cqss.  I had too look quite a bit before I found the format and content of the contacts to be valid.

Now that I know where to look, it won't be so strange next time.  My God the bands get busy during the contests.  It sure must be fun.
I"m still puzzeled by the draw.  I'll dip my toes in some day when my cw is a bit faster and maybe I'll understand the draw.

Thanks--73  Mark L. Martin  k9cf
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2000, 04:31:32 PM »

Yes, the "prizes" are usually won by those more serious about contesting.  However, those serious contesters all started at the "bottom" listening, learning and trying new things.  For many contesters, even some diehards, the thrill of working new multipliers or having a high rate for even a short period are what bring them back over and over - NOT just the prospect of winning a certificate or plaque.

In two weeks is the phone version of the Sweepstakes (SS) which should be less intimidating for new contesters.  Learn the exchange and jump in.  Sunday is especially good for "new meat" on SS as all the diehards have worked each other.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: