Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shack grounding  (Read 472 times)
KC0INZ

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2001, 03:52:56 PM »

OK, I have my IC-746 on the way, should get here in about a week.  Up to this point I have been operating mobile only with an ICOM 706MKIIG, so this will be my first attempt at setting up a shack.  I am planning on setting up in the basement.  I will be using a couple of smaller portable antennas for operation because of the CC&Rs in the neighborhood and eventually will probably put a dipole in the attic.  I am building the ground coupled antenna that was in the January QST.  I will be able to put this antenna up when I want to use it and take it down when I am done.  I was wondering how some others have their grounding set up.  Do you use braided wire, copper strips, etc?  I will probably be using copper pipe as ground rods.

The rig will be set up next to a wall that separates the basement from the crawl space (1/2 basement).  I was wondering if I could drive in 3 or 4, four foot long grounding rods in the unfinished crawl space area and interconnect them all.  this would give me a distance to my first ground of about 4 feet.  The soil in the crawl space area is very soft clay material, and is always damp.  Will this setup give me an adequate grounding system?  Any help or advice would be appreciated.  with the layout of my QTH, there are not many good options for grounding I'm afraid.  Thanks, Ken  KC0INZ

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2001, 04:44:20 PM »

Sounds good to m, you shouldn't have any problems
with this set up at all.
WA4BWO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2001, 12:37:41 AM »

Make sure the four (or so) ground rods are all connected together and then make one run (braided strap works good on my setup) into the operating area. You have a good plan!
WA6KGI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2001, 01:52:29 PM »

Ken,
You have a good plan.  You should also consider running a line around the perimeter of the house with as many grounds on it as possible.  When it comes to grounding for all I have done and read as well, the more the better.  I have also tried putting number ten copper and number 12 solid copper wire right on the ground and steaking it down (so the mower cannot get it).  That has worked well.   I have also taken a flat shovel and shoved it into the ground and dropping wire into that thin trench and then stomping on it to cover it.  I have tied many ground rods together with that and had very good luck.    Braid or solid or strap, they all work.  Remember, the more the better.
Jack
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: