Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stealth antennas  (Read 487 times)
BEAST

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2001, 12:56:07 PM »

I am looking to upgrade myself to a general.  Among the problems I have come across is trying to find a cheap HF rig, and what to do with an antenna.  I will be setting up in my bedroom, and don't have any real good exterior mounting options.  If I am not able to set up antennas in my attic, I would like some ideas about how to set up other types of indoor antennas, what works the best, and the best way of making a good indoor multiband.
K4KJV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2001, 10:03:14 PM »

Suggest you pick up a copy of the ARRL book "Stealth Amateur Radio". I'm not a shill for the ARRL, but this book has more good ideas on stealth antennas than I could go into here.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2001, 01:38:37 PM »

Would also recommend, from personal experience, the MFJ "Box Fan" loop antenna product, if you have access to a window, balcony, porch, patio or anything that can give the product some exposure to the outside without looking through walls.  This is a tunable, very high-Q loop antenna that covers 14-30 MHz (20/17/15/12/10m) and is remotely tuned from the operating position, and actually works amazingly well if you can sit it in a window or on a balcony...it does not look like an antenna, it looks like a "box fan," so nobody will know what it is.  Just a thought!  There's millions of possible solutions, but this particular one happens to work, and doesn't require endless experimenting to get on the air.
KV4BL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2001, 01:46:49 PM »

One Possibility may be the "Isotron" series by the "Bilal Company".  These are strange loooking antennas that are very compact and appear to have potential for someone in your situation.  I would imagine they would work best in an attic or at least on a balcony but you might contact the company for more info.  An ad with photos of some of these antennas can be found on page 100 of the AES Fall/Winter 2000-2001 catalog.  I have heard mixed reviews as to their performance that run from "great" to "not so hot".  You might check the product reviews section of the E-Ham site for more info, also.  Good Luck and 73.     Ray  KV4BL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: