The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bringing ladder line into the shack.  (Read 8368 times)

« on: December 06, 2000, 01:35:40 PM »

What are the problems of bringing ladder line into the shack, and can they be avoided with an ouside 4 to 1 balun? The RF will no doubt bother any computers or accessories in the shack.  Bill  AC6IJ
WA2AEH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2000, 01:56:30 PM »

Properly installed ladder line will not radiate in the shack!  I run 1.5kw on all HF frequencies with absolutely no RF problems with other electronic devices with 1-2 feet of the ladder line.  None at all!

WA2AEH
WA2AEH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2000, 01:57:20 PM »

I meant (within) 1-2 feet of the ladder line.

WA2AEH

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2000, 02:14:29 PM »

Properly installed ladderline coming into the shack may be a big question. Are we talking about some kind of insulation around it or what?
WA2AEH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2000, 02:42:54 PM »

Yes, I am talking about insulated ladder line.  I should have said that before.  I am using 450 ohm (insulated) ladder line.
WA2AEH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2000, 04:38:33 PM »

I run 1.5kw in my shack with all my electronic equipment and my computer less than 2-3 feet away! No interference at all. In either direction. In fact, my stereo equipment is picking up radiation from the 80 foot high antenna over the house and not the ladder line! As an added benefit, the cancellation of signals or RF on the line cancels in the receive mode too. That is, the ladder line will cancel any RFI or hash from other electronic equipment in the same room! It will not receive signals like a vertical wire antenna. Have no fear about the ladder line. Bringing it into the house is easy, just cut a board or plexiglass the will fit in your window frame with the window up about 8-10 inches. Close the window down on this board, drill a slotted hole to bring the ladder line in, seal this hole, and connect to your tuner. You will be glad you did.

Bill WA2AEH
K0PCG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2000, 07:07:40 PM »

Is there any hazard in having the 450 ohm ladder line in the house, e.g. children accidently touching the line, line coming in contact with electrical conduit, ducts, etc?
K3VO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2000, 08:38:19 AM »

I mount my balun in a Tupper ware container with two stand off insulators on the lid. This is mounted outside my shack window and fed with about three feet of coax to my tuner. I connect the open wire line to the stand offs with alligator clips which are a quick disconnect for thunder storms.
Also wrap the container with black tape so that UV from the sun does not harm the container.
I have used this for 20 years with great results.
Ed
K4IA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2000, 09:10:40 AM »

I bring the ladder line straight in to my tuner through a window opened "just a crack."  Flexible packing foam fills the crack and keeps out the cold.  Works just fine with no RFI.  
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2000, 04:22:58 PM »

If you don't like the idea of bare ladder line in the shack, you can
use a pair of coax cables to simulate a shielded, balanced line.

Cut two pieces of coax cable to the same length.  Connect the
braids together at each end.  Use the two inner conductors as a
balanced line with twice the impedance of the coax you used.
This is handy if you need to snake it through a wall, etc.  If you
are using a tuner, don't worry about the impedance of the shielded
line - the tuner will take care of it.

Some years ago Amp Supply Company sold a commercial version
which was equivalent to two 75 ohm center conductors inside a
single braid, giving 150 ohm balanced, shielded feedline.  I use
this for my loop antenna, and it works great.  It is buried through
the flower bed with no problems - except where the gardener
cut it with a shovel!!

- Dale WB6BYU
WB3EGX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2001, 09:02:31 AM »

I like the sound of Ladderline that can be buried or run just about anywhere. Is there a spacing between the cables that must be maintained ??
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: