Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2m/70cm SWR meter suggestions?  (Read 1256 times)
KF6WCH

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2001, 03:02:47 PM »

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good 2m/70cm SWR meter?

I am interested in something that works with 5 watts from the radio, if that makes a difference. (In other words, I only have an HT so the meter would need to work with the low power output.  It would be nice if it also worked with somewhat higher output, since I'm think of getting a moblie soon).

I only want to use it to adjust antennas, although the ability to measure power output from the radio would be nice too. Beyond these two abilities, low price is more important than extra features.

Thanks.  

N0PU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2001, 06:27:11 PM »

I like my mfj-862...
http://mfjenterprises.com/watt/mfj862.html

Harry
KK7UE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2001, 11:45:18 PM »

Not knowing anything about the MFJ model referenced above, I can't say one way or the other about it. I'm sure it is a fine instrument. I can say from personal experience that the Yaesu YS-500, 140-525Mhz SWR/Wattmeter does a fine job for me. Its power ranges are 0-4 watts, 0-20 watts and 0-200 watts. It does require a 4 watt or better input for accurate SWR readings. It does not require an external power source for it to operate, unlike the HF version YS-60. All this coming from an ICOM fanatic. My suggestion is to buy the best you can afford and have FUN! CUL, 73  eric
KD5KFL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2001, 06:37:11 PM »

Radio Shacks works as well as any other. In the catalog, on the web, maybe in your local store.
W0KF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2001, 09:15:10 PM »

I agree with the above comments on the YS-500.  It is small, inexpensive, accurate, and easy to use.  I am very happy with mine.
MAGENTA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2001, 08:00:55 PM »

I use a DAIWA CN-103L Cross Needle Meter. It covers 140 to 500 Mhz and has power settings for 20 watts and 200 watts. Its larger then what many using Ht's might want. However if your thinking of a upgrade this might be worth looking into. I picked mine up for $100.00 new at a local radio shop. I am very happy with the meter and its performance. It is great for VHF/UHF stations.

73! Ryan W7SFO!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: