Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP!  (Read 4282 times)

« on: August 12, 2001, 08:02:55 AM »

UTC time and GMT time are redundant terms.  UTC and GMT are sufficient.

By the way, I don't think the Zulu's keep time...
HOORU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2001, 07:30:58 PM »

I am dire need of an atomic desk/wall clock that will display zulu, UTC, or GMT time. If anybody knows where I can buy one online, please help me. Thanks!
W4EOE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2001, 07:56:34 PM »

Check out this website:

http://www.atomicclocksonline.com/exsildescloc.html
HOORU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2001, 08:08:56 PM »

Hmmmmmm, I wonder if by "world" time they actually mean zulu, or if you can just choose another city. I've looked all over, and I can't find a zulu clock and it's really bugging me.
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2001, 08:24:18 PM »

Hi: Actually, you can set most "atomic clocks" for any time zone you wish to. GMT and Zulu are one and the same, as is UTC. Set it to London time and call it whatever you want to call it.
   73  Pete Allen  AC5E
HOORU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2001, 08:40:19 PM »

So London is on GMT time?
VE3IAY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2001, 10:21:11 PM »

No, London (and Greenwich!) are not on GMT. Right now they are one hour ahead of GMT (British Summer Time).

If you have a "dumb" clock, you can just set it to UTC as per WWV and be done with it. If your clock is "smart" and corrects for daylight savings time, you may have more difficulty.

The Windoze Control Panel Date/Time dialog box has a setting called "Greenwich Mean Time: Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London". IIRC, this is not actually GMT, it's British Time. At a large Field Day station a year or so ago, we had one or two station managers that had set their computers to "Greenwich Mean Time" but who had not unchecked the "Adjust for Daylight Savings Time" check box, and whose logs were wrong by one hour as a result. I seem to recall being told that the "Casablanca, Monrovia" setting is actually GMT all year round, but I haven't taken the time to verify this.

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2001, 02:38:36 PM »

Time zones across the world were given a single letter for each one of the 24 time zones for ease of message handling via CW I believe.  Zulu time or "Z" was the letter used for GMT back before that was changed to UTC.  When messages were handled over radio phone "Zulu" was the phonetic for "Z".  "Zulu time came to be associated with GMT or UTC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: