Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling amplifiers on Ebay  (Read 490 times)
K8OM

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2001, 08:46:12 PM »

I have a Dentron GLA-1000B amplifier for sell on Ebay. I very clearly stated in the description that I will only sell this amp to a licensed Amateur Radio operator and they must provide me with name and call letters.

The current high bidder e-mailed me with a question about payment and he indicated he is a CB'er. I believe it is illegal for me to sell an amplifier that is capable of operating on the CB band to a CB'er. Am I correct?

Thanks,

Joe  K8OM
W6QW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2001, 11:26:46 PM »

Joe - you are absolutely correct that CB regulations forbit amplifiers above the (5watt) FCC limit.  The FCC restricted the sale 10meter amps a while back because of this situation.

Regards,
Don
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2001, 02:14:51 AM »

You can cancell his bid.  Just explain the bidder is not complying with the terms and conditions for bidding.

It is my understanding that it is not illegal to own a ham amplifier, if you are not a ham; it is illegal to use it if you are not a ham.

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2001, 01:42:53 PM »

If you have a problem with rejecting his bid, contact eBay.  

They are very aware of this problem and have barred sellers and amplifier items that are illegal for 11 meter (FCC Citizens Band service).

Yuu will notice that many sellers now attempt sales without photos and claiming to be 10 meters amplifiers.

G. Beat
w9gb
KA2QFX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2001, 06:47:33 PM »

The law is very interesting in this regard.

My reading and understanding of FCC regulations (Parts 95 and 97) is that it is not illegal to sell an otherwise legal amplifier to a non-ham. It is however illegal to commerically manufacture such amplifier equipment for sale without type acceptance from the FCC.  It is also illegal for anyone in the Class D radio service (formerly licensed CB operation now unlicensed) to possess any amplifier capable of amplifying signals in that band.  Part 95 specifically states that "posession within the premises" is sufficient grounds for prosecution even though no evidence exists to indicate that it was ever used to amplify signals from an 11 meter station.  

So my guess is you would not be committing any crime (legally) by selling it to a non-ham.  He would be committing a crime by receiving the amplifier only if he had an 11 meter station.  Strange isn't it?

Nevertheless, I wouldn't sell any amps to a non-ham. Sadly I've seen plenty of flea market dealer (hams) that sell dirty little class AB, unfiltered,  solid state units to the CBer's by the boatload that crank out 200-300 watts.   You are certainly under no obligation to sell to this bidder, and eBay will back you up on that from several disputes I have heard of.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: