Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-920 Rx SSB Audio  (Read 616 times)
W6QW

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2001, 01:22:09 PM »

I have one of the first Yaesu FT-920's produced.  A great radio - love all the features.  Spend most of my time on CW but when I have the occasion to work SSB, I find the received audio to be a bit unnatural sounding. It takes much fine tuning to get decent sounding audio.  I have expanded the IF offset via the menu and this helps a bit but the receive audio still does not compare favorably with ICOM or Kenwood radios side-by-side.  Tx audio reports are great.  Any ideas on this before I call Yaesu service?  Also, is a service manual available for the FT-920?
W2AEW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2001, 02:13:49 PM »

I am not an expert on the FT-920, in fact I don't even own one.  But I do remember coming across a fairly extensive FT-920 resources website.  Here's the url: http://www.wm7d.net/hamradio/yaesu_pages/ft920/

Maybe there is something (or someone) there that will help you out!

------------------------------------------------------
My YouTube channel...
...ham radio, basic electronics tutorials, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/w2aew
K6NT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2001, 02:55:26 PM »

You probably know this, but if the NR is on more than a little, it will distort.  Also, check DSP settings, and shift.
W6QW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2001, 11:22:35 PM »

Thanks - been there, done that.. I guess I'm just too paticular.  Grew up with Collins - the synthesized radios of today are just not the same....  Think I'll try to get a copy of the service manual and check out the tuning.  Thanks Again.

Don
AD6JN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2001, 12:47:57 PM »

I use the FT-920 in the FM mode which requires using the squelch - lower left knob.  The SSB audio was terible when the squelch was left on.  I thought the radio audio had gone defective on me.

I have not heard of any other FT-920 audio problems.

I hope this helps.

Bob
AD6JN

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: