The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rig control question?  (Read 3388 times)

« on: December 07, 2001, 01:51:17 PM »

When running a PSK-31 program such as Hamscope and you want to use the Icom CI-V program control, how do you connect them to the computer serial port when they each need a port? Is it ok to use  a different com port for each one. I beleive they both require the same port. Any help is appreciated.  Bill  email   normally@softcom.net
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2001, 08:15:38 PM »

I can't speak for Hamscope but several of the programs permit you to select a different serial port for rig control and PTT control (MixW for example). That's one option, to use separate ports.

Another option is to use a single port but to break out the RTS signal to go to your PTT keying circuit. Icom's CI-V interface uses only the Rx and Tx data and leaves the control signals unused.

Another option is to use the transceiver's VOX for transmitter keying and the serial port for rig control.

Yet another option is that some programs can key some Icom rigs via a CI-V command. In that case you don't have to worry about the PTT circuit at all.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2002, 01:22:10 PM »

I tried Hamscope and a couple of other programs and keep returning to Digipan. I use a IC-706MkII with computer control thru the serial port and a RigBlaster that uses my sound card input and output. I am using a HP laptop running 133Mhz and an IBM laptop running 500 Mhz. The IBM does not have a serial port so I can't use the radio control until I get a USB/serial adapter. But the radio control program runs on the IBM okay even when I am using the soundcard for the PSK31. The Digipan program works well on either computer. I use the CI-V Commander to control my IC-706 and I like it better then the ARCP program. Either program works okay while I use the Digipan thru the soundcard ports. The CI-V Commander program doesn't show the radio face like the ARCP one does but I find it easier to use because I don't have to enter the radio parameters every time I bring the program up to run. I hope this helps you. You can find the CI-V Commander program at: http://www.qsl.net/civ_commander
You can find the ARCP program at: http://www.halcyon.com/amreg
Good luck. If you have any questions about entering the IC-706 parameters on the ARCP program, e-mail me at sirdrakejr@AOL.com.
Frank
KL7IPV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: