Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CC&Rs and antennas  (Read 634 times)
DL6UST

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2002, 12:18:20 PM »

Hi,

I am DL6UST/W7 and live in a CC&R restricted area.  I am not supposed to build any visible antennas.  

I am looking for any links/info/laws/articles/rules on how to figth orget around restrictions like that.  

I live in King Co., Washington State if that matters.

Thanks in advance

73 from Andreas

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2002, 12:42:53 PM »

Hi, I have a friend who has the same restrictions and he uses an Antron 99 placed inside of PVC pipe and  it makes a nice flagpole antenna.  To everyone it looks like a flagpole even with a ball on top.  Bill  
KC8SBV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2002, 12:52:17 PM »

A guy in my area has a Butternut vertical in the ground tucked into a  pine tree in his yard.  Also a 2m vertical on a pole behind his house.  His house is on the border of the on the edge of the sub, and his back yard is not visible.

See the Antenna Restrictions forum for more of these discussions.
WB6CVR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2002, 12:52:35 PM »

I live in a CC&R restricted townhouse. The CC&Rs state that no antenna may be attached to the house. I use a Alpha-Delta Outbacker on a tripod sitting on a small deck in my back yard. Nothing is attached to the house.

Also, FCC rules allow for small dish antennas for satellite TV reception regardless of CC&Rs. There might be a way to hide a wire antenna along with one of these.

My wire antenna is in the attic crawl space and works fine.

73 - Eric
KB1HJW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2002, 01:56:56 PM »

I have a 10/15/20 wire dipole in the attic (15'x30') of my townhouse. From MA, I can hit Poland to the east, British Columbia to the west and Florida over to Arizona to the south. I also put a 2m magmount on a 4'x4' piece of sheetmetal.
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2002, 02:11:53 PM »

I have a house in Washington Co. Oregon and have the same restrictions here. Have you tested the water yet? I have had no complaints about my backyard HF wires in the 12 years I have been here. I use the fir and pine trees to support them. (I bet you have nice trees up there too?) If nobody complains, then nobody cares... ;-) I assume you were not planning on a tower and beams?
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2002, 02:59:34 PM »

I have 211 DX countrys confirmed using 100 watts into an Alpha Delta DX-EE (10-40) multi band antenna in my attic.  I can pretty much work anything I can hear with the DX-EE and the neighbors don't have a clue.  Good luck.

Terry, WØFM
N1OU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2002, 04:18:09 PM »

I have a GAP Challenger vertical "hidden" among some trees in my back yard.  You have to look very hard to see it and I've had no attention at all from my very unfriendly homeowners association.  I've completed WAS with it easily.  I work 80M through 2M and my neighbors don't even know.  Great DX, too.

Good Luck!
N1OU
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2002, 10:28:58 PM »

Unfortunatly you agreed to the CC&Rs when you purchased the house so I doubt there is any legal way to get around it. The FCC has stated that PRB1 does not apply in this case. The best you can do is to put up an antenna that is either not very visible or not recognizable as an antenna. I've used dipoles with a very small wire guage (although you end up replacing it fairly often). A flag pole could be insulated from ground (or shunt fed) and used as a vertical. A pair of ham stick (or other brand) mobile antennas can be configured back to back to form a dipole. These could perhaps be set up on the deck when you want to get on the air and removed when not in use. I've even heard of people puting a mobile antenna on the car and then connecting it to a coax in the driveway when then want to operate from the house (just make sure the wife doesn't drive off with the coax still connected).
K0XU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2002, 02:56:03 PM »

If you are serious about putting up a visible antenna, first get the exact wording of the actual restriction. Sometimes they only restrict antennas mounted on the house and you can put up free standing antennas. Sometimes they only restrict "permanent" installations and you can erect a "temporary" vertical the the back yard mounted in a bucket of concrete. Also you should take a walk around the neighboorhood and see what other people are doing that may violate the restriction. If you can find several houses with CB antennas that have been up for a period of time with no complaints, you could make a case for saying the restriction is not being inforced and is therefore invalid.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2002, 11:23:46 AM »

Another approach is to put a big mobile antenna on your car, and
run a piece of coax out to it.  Nothing is mounted on the house!
ANONYMOUS123

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2002, 12:42:04 AM »

Don't fight them or you'll never get an antenna and you'll stay under a microscope. It's better to ask forgiveness than permission. Just put it up and make it unobtrusive.
I live in a strict CC&R neighbor hood and put up a 40' Rohn tower with a Lightningbolt quad and a Yaesu rotator a couple of years ago. But EVERYTHING was carefully painted flat black. You can't see it. It blends into the trees when you look at it from the street.
The neighbors don't care because it's not an eyesore (yes, to many our toys are eyesores) and I'm not in their TVs or phones.
After you do it, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT and enjoy your rig. All you have to do is keep a low profile.
WB9WHE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2002, 04:55:48 PM »

Welcome to the club!

I use a WB9WHE Six legged dipole fed with one feedline and a balun. It lays flat on my peaked roof (an an inverted Vee) and the cable drops down through a roof vent. Nearly invisible from the ground!  Use # 14-16 insulated wire. It covers 20, 17 & 15 (or any other 3 bands you choose) and works quite well (198 countries and counting), and draws no attention.

Another option, run a wire from the ground straight up to the very top of the chimney. Avoind making contact with any metal. At the base, use an 8' ground rod and a couple of long as possible buried wire radials. Insert an SGC auto tuner at the base...and whala!   instant invisible multiband HF vertical antenna. A little more expensive than the WB9WHE Six legged dipole, but it covers 80-6 meters.....with some gain on the higher end!

Another option, put as large a dipole as possible on the roof, laying flat on it. Feed it with 450 ladder line down through a roof vent to an SGC tuner in the attic. This works best as an inverted Vee....so you get a nearly omnidirectional pattern.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2002, 11:59:12 PM »

Try the paint method. If you can paint the vertical antenna to blend in, no one will see it and will not complain. Use colors that are muted and use two or three colors to break up the outline of the antenna. In trees use browns, some black and dark green. Camo that sucker and put it up. Look for it yourself and if you have trouble seeing it, KNOWING what and where it is; I suspect NO ONE else is ever going to notice it.
Good luck. And....don't BRAG about it.
Frank
KL7IPV
AB9EH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2002, 05:26:31 PM »

The position of the FCC, and I think from a purely legal perspective they are correct, is that CCR provisions are private contracts entered into voluntarily by the homeowner.  Neither the federal or the state government is likely to do anything to void a private contract.

So, I agree with the others that stealth is the order of the day.  You said you could not have a visible antenna - what does that mean?  Gap Antennas has a new device that you can see at

http://www.gapantenna.com/superc.htm

that is only three feet high.  What happens if you install one of these and surround it with a line of small shrubs?  Bet you could cover that base with a little ground cover and forget it was there.  It doesn't even look like an antenna - will they come after you for violating the CCR on antennas if they don't know what it is?  The only person that is going to recognize it as an antenna is a fellow ham and we won't tell.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: