About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: talk-in  (Read 264 times)
KG4SAQ

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2002, 10:33:24 PM »

Serious rookie question time.  I see in the ads for hamfest that "talk-in is on 14x.xxx".  What is talk-in used for?
K9CF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2002, 11:23:28 PM »

Welcome to Ham Radio.
Talk-In, is someone to talk to as you try to find where the event is.  Very handy to those of us who don't know where we are going to, or where we should park.  ect.

Each event usually has one person on the talk in frequency at all times who can help direct you on how to find the event.  And many other hams will often monitor the same frequency as they drive in (or out) so if you call up and say "I'm at the corner of Walk and Don't Walk" and the talk-in person doesn't know it, one of the other hams on frequency will know.  

73 DE K9CF
Best Regards
Mark L. Martin

K8DD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2002, 11:25:10 PM »

The talk-in frequency (14x.xxx) is used by the hams coming to the hamfest who are not sure where it is.  The station at the hamfest, called the talk-in station, is on that frequency to give directions to those hams and keep them from getting lost.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: