Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Garage Door Opener & RF  (Read 1192 times)
N5KF

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2002, 05:53:18 PM »

When on HF, it disables my garage door opener. I have contacted Genie, and they send out new boards, but it does not help. Has anybody had any luck with getting the RF out of the garage door opener. When its disabled, I have to unplug the opener from the AC and plug it back in to get it to work. Hard wired button as well as remote do not work while it is disabled.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2002, 07:09:53 PM »

You probably have (unluckily) used a length of wire that happens to be resonant on an HF band you're using.

Suspect wiring includes:

-The AC wiring to power the unit, usually plugged into an outlet in or near the ceiling;

-The low voltage DC wiring to the pushbutton controller;

-The low voltage DC wiring to the photoelectric sensor and light source used on all modern openers to "child proof" them (as required by law in most places for the past several years);

What I had to do, and it was pretty easy because there was more than enough wire to play with, was wrap several turns of all three of the wires discussed above through a snap-on ferrite RF choke, like Radio Shack P/N 273-104.  All three snap-on chokes are installed within a few inches of the main opener mechanism, where the wiring enters the box.  Cleaned it right up, problem went away.  Prior to that, my opener (also a Genie) would "latch up" from RF on 17 meters and completely disable it.

Good luck!

WB2WIK/6
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2002, 12:12:17 PM »

Actually, you may have unwittingly saved yourself a lot of trouble.   Just leave the thing disconnected.

Do you have any idea how easy it is to "hack" a garage door opener?  Many people don't even lock the entrance door between the garage and the house, and even if they do, after a burglar gets into the garage and closes the door, now he can casually work on getting the house door open unseen.

A few years ago, working in the heating business, my now ex boss built a new shop. He tried to chew me out twice for leaving the shop roll-up open, turns out a nearby business with a two-way base station was sometimes opening the door--at night!!

Why we didn't lose half the shop is a mystery to me.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 11:18:43 AM »

I have the same thing happen to my openers.  I have a Chamberlain unit.  The first time this happened was one year after I have been operating HF at this QTH.  So an unusual frequency/mode probably triggered it.  It was probably 12m CW at 1,300 watts.  The garage door company replaced the circuit board.  Today it happened again and I found this thread.  I unplugged the opener and it reset itself.  All is good now until I operate 12m CW again Cheesy  I will put some ferrite beads on the keypad wiring and see if that helps.

Jonathan W6GX
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 02:02:31 PM »

When on HF, it disables my garage door opener.

I had the same problem running QRO RTTY into my
roof mounted vertical, but it was OPENING both my
garage door AND my next door neighbor's!
The
strange thing is, at that time I had been in operating
in this house, with QRO, for five years. Very bizarre.

Turns out my station ground was disconnected! DOH!
That fixed it!
73, Ken AD6KA
PS: I like to use FT-240-31 or 43 toroid chokes
for these types of problems. Yeah, they are a lot
more money but they work better also.
K7JG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 09:08:53 PM »

I have the same problem intermittently with a horizontal loop running overhead of a Genie opener when running 100 watts hf; 12 watts doesn't bother it. A temporary fix was to unplug the unit after scrambling its brain. A more permanent cure (so far) was putting what Radio Shack calls a snap toroid choke on the AC line and snap core chokes on the limit switch and light sensor lines where they entered the unit.

John K7JG.
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 07:55:34 PM »

I like that, answers to a question posted in 2002. better late than never I guess.  Smiley
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 04:56:07 PM »

Actually, you may have unwittingly saved yourself a lot of trouble.   Just leave the thing disconnected.

Do you have any idea how easy it is to "hack" a garage door opener?  Many people don't even lock the entrance door between the garage and the house, and even if they do, after a burglar gets into the garage and closes the door, now he can casually work on getting the house door open unseen.

A few years ago, working in the heating business, my now ex boss built a new shop. He tried to chew me out twice for leaving the shop roll-up open, turns out a nearby business with a two-way base station was sometimes opening the door--at night!!

Why we didn't lose half the shop is a mystery to me.

Actually I just purchased and installed a new garage door opener just after the blizzard. The old opener is dead after 20 years. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the opener remote uses some sort of spread spectrum frequency hopping. I took a gander at it on the spectrum analyzer and it is not going to be cake to crack it if you don't the hopping sequence.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: