donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:  (Read 4428 times)
KB8LOG

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2002, 12:25:36 AM »

I've read some posts about people using Hamsticks in living quarters, or for base operations. Right now I'm looking at purchasing an antenna, and the Cushcraft MA5V and the Hamstick look very appealing. However for the price, the Hamstick seems like a no-brainer.

I have some questions about the hamstick though. It would be nice to be able to leave the antenna outside during the day, but I must be careful not to violate the apartment policy which states clearly that we cannot mount any kind of antenna outside. There is a chance though, that I could mount one right outside my backdoor. Here's the catch, it has to be horizontal to the ground. My idea involves mounting it in between the beams under the balcony behind my apartment. The only hard part to hide would be the cable running into the window. Is that even gonna work with a hamstick? If so, what are some suggestions for mounting methods? Ideally the horizontal mount, with the option to quickly disconnect it, is perfect. If horizontal is not an option, if anyone can share how the hamstick performs when it is indoors, I would be grateful. Daytime operation indoors and nighttime I can take it outside.

Thanks so much in advance for any help! I really appreciate it!

Oh before I forget, one more thing. I read about having to trim part of the stinger during hamstick assembly...is that normal? Also, when completely assembled, what the length on the hamschtick? Many thanks.

Scott, KB8LOG  

KB8LOG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2002, 12:28:23 AM »

Oops I thought I put a subject on this puppy! Sorry folks!
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2002, 09:22:33 AM »

If I had your email address I could send you our fact sheet on the hamstick dipole.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2002, 01:32:57 PM »

The Hamstick antenna price only seems like a "no brainer" compared to the MA5V because you're comparing apples to oranges.  The MA5V is a multi-band HF vertical antenna.  The Hamstick is a single band antenna originally intended to be mounted vertically, like the MA5V.  If you wish to mount the Hamstick "horizontally" as you state, the best approach would be to use two "back-to-back" Hamsticks (a dipole adapter is available).  I have done just that with success.  Its a compromise at best, but better than nothing.

To equal just the band capabilites of the MA5V with Hamstick parts mounted horizontally, you  would need TWO of everything for the Hamstick for EACH BAND that you want to work.  While the total cost may not equal that of the MA5V, you could rack up very close to the MA5V costs after purchasing enough Hamstick parts to be apples-to-apples with equal band coverage capabilites of the MA5V.  

Yes, the tip of the Hamstick antenna will have to be adjusted for lowest SWR, whether installed vertically or horizontally as a "dipole".  That can include adjusting the stinger in or out of its hollow fiberglass shaft, or, in rare cases, snipping off part of the stinger.  Not a difficult task at all with just a simple SWR meter. Have fun.

73 de Terry, WØFM
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2002, 09:23:36 PM »

Have had good luck with a 20 meter hamstick mounted vertical with a couple of quarter wave radial's laying on the balcony floor.  After tuning attached a American Flag with a couple of plastic wire ties to the stinger.  It was my "flag pole".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: