donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:  (Read 5075 times)
KC9AZL

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2002, 05:46:34 PM »

Has anyone ever had there QSL's lost when they were sent in for DXCC,WAS, and WAC?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2002, 06:06:18 PM »

I've never heard of that happening.

However, some percentage of all mail is probably lost.  That's why when I send in stuff like this I insure it for $10,000 (the insurance costs $99 from UPS for $10K coverage).  When the UPS clerk asks me why so much, I reply, "replacement value."

WB2WIK/6
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2002, 08:13:31 PM »

The last time UPS lost what I had ship via them to a customer, UPS wanted me to prove the item's value. The price I had insured it for was irrelevant--it set their maximum liability if the item's cost was equal to or greater than what I had paid to “insure” it for.  They also disputed that I had bought insurance, they call it something else.

They are a horrible company to deal with when they make a mistake, every mistake they make is your fault.  Every time I’ve had to file a claim for items they lost, including CODs amounts they collected, the adjuster was either on vacation or out sick for 2 more weeks.

K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2002, 09:22:22 PM »

ARRL prefers you ship QSL's Parcel Post, Registered.  The USPS has never, that's right NEVER, lost a registered letter or package.  There's always a first time, I suppose.  It's probably the safest way to ship anything to make sure it arrives and isn't lost.

Contrary to AE7G's experience, my interactions with the PO have been top drawer.   They damaged a DX-60 that I shipped once and I had a settlement within two weeks.  For comparison,  I fought UPS over a damage claim for two months.  It was horrible, like pulling teeth.  The PO was efficient and couteous.  Yes, I had to prove the value, but they accepted printouts of eBay auction results as proof of value.  It took me maybe 10 minutes to verify the value.

AE7G says:

"The price I had insured it for was irrelevant--it set their
                maximum liability if the item's cost was equal to or greater than what I had paid to
                “insure” it for. "

I can't see why that policy is unreasonable.  In fact all insurance companies operate in exactly that manner.  They won't pay you $200,000 for your home that burns down if it was only worth $100,000, regardless of what premium you agree to pay.  In fact claiming something is worth more than it actually is and filing a claim for an inflated amount is commonly known as "insurance fraud," and something that not only insurance companies, but law enforcement takes a dim view of.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2002, 11:29:29 PM »

My apologies to AE7G.  I misread his UPS as USPS, in which case my experiences are consistant with his.  KC9AZL pointed out my mistake in a private email.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2002, 11:04:04 AM »

What UPS offers for $1 per $100 value is definitely "insurance," and is so stipulated on their contract, which is the bill of lading you complete and attach to the shipment.  I just checked one here, again.

In contrast to what some have experienced, I've never had a problem with a UPS damage or loss claim.  My last one was about three years ago, when a large and heavy power supply, which was crated and palletized, arrived damaged at my door.  I simply took photographs (immediately) with a date/time stamp camera showing the pallet, the crate, the exterior damage, the interior damage, and a few close-ups of the damage to the power supply itself.  I added to that a copy of the costed bill of material for the required repairs and a labor estimate at $70 per hour to perform the repairs (myself), and submitted that as the claim.

They were going to send an adjuster out to inspect the damage, but never did.  I received payment for my $375 claim in about two weeks.

Taking action immediately, and taking photographs, is vital to the process.

WB2WIK/6
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2002, 11:37:15 AM »

Whenever possible, take advantage of the local volunteer award checkers or the same award verification service offered at many hamfests and forget about the worry of trusting your valued QSL cards to UPS or USPS.  Keep in mind that some awards and entities are not eligible for local verification, but, I'd certainly start there.  Two great volunteers came to my home to confirm my first DXCC submittal.  They perform a great service with little appreciation.

Terry, WØFM
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2002, 09:24:01 PM »

I have reading problems also.  It is easy for me to mix up UPS and USPS.

The strangest USPS policy I’ve run into is that they will NOT accept any box with blue color on it for “regular” ground shipping, or overseas airmail—if it has any blue on it anywhere it HAS to go via Priority even if there is no Priority shipping to that destination!  One cannot magic marker over the blue, changing its color either.  Correlated to that, any box made by the USPS for priority shipping can never be used for anything other than Priority shipping, even if you are recycling a box you’ve received (ie you now own the box), take the box apart and reconstruct it inside out, so nothing shows other than cardboard.

Have FUN
Bob
JAMES_BENEDICT_EX_N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2002, 08:55:49 PM »

UPS is very difficult to collect from anymore regarding insured parcels. I suspect fraud has made their policy very tough for all of us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: