Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EMP protection  (Read 370 times)
K5DVW

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2002, 02:23:55 PM »

I'd agree that if you're close enough for EMP, you're probably going to be worried about something else. The most dangerous type of nuclear EMP is from an airburst. That's where the warhead explodes at high altitude, like 10,000 ft or higher. I doubt terrorists or any countries besides US, China or Russia would do that simply because it's a less effective use of a weapon if you only have a few. The most hard damage is done by setting one off a few thousand feet above the target. EMP is going to be a line of sight effect.

At least that's how I understand it all. There was a movie a few years ago called "Trinity" that documented a lot of this stuff about nuke weapons. It's certainly interesting to watch, scary too.

And yes, a metal box would take care of it, also just storing the equipment without any antenna or power wires connected to it should work. Just think of it as a huge nearby lightning strike.

It's crazy that we have to even think about this, but with the crud going on in the world, I suppose it pays to be prepared to an extent.
KB8ASO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2002, 01:30:41 PM »

With the current instability of India and Pakistan and threat of nuclear terrorism, what is the best way to prep, store  and a solid state emergency radio setup against EMP.    Metal container?  
Randy KB8ASO  
AB7RG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2002, 02:05:32 PM »

Please check out: http://www.eham.net/speakout/opinions/178

We discussed this topic back during October/November of last year with Speak Out. There are some ideas and links that can be found there.

I wouldn't worry about an EMP from India or Pakistan as it will not reach anything in the US. Now if you're in either of those countries or in a neighboring one, your radios would be in danger from an EMP. But if there's an EMP and you're that close, the last thing that you need to worry about will be your radios!

You might contact N3NL, Nick Leggett, as he's very well informed on this topic.

73 Clinton AB7RG

AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2002, 04:37:46 PM »

Hi: The best I can understand, the EMP pulse from  a nearby nuke strike is more like a supercell thunderstorm letting go all at once. As such, there will be biological hazards to us as well as danger to our beloved rigs.

A metal box, such as a cheap metal covered storage trunk, should do about as well as anything in the EMP occurs within what's called "survivable distance." And if we are too close - we probably won't have a worry in the world after the event.

Just make sure the trunk is actually metal covered, test it with a magnet, and put some hefty jumpers between the lid and the rest of the box.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E

KD7KOY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2002, 08:54:12 PM »

I'm not an expert on EMP, but I understand that tubes rigs are less susceptiable than solid state.
    I recall an incident of a Mig pilot who defected and his MIG aircraft was equipped with "tube" technology. Everyone laughed. But then it dawned on people that the aircraft was designed to survive a nuclear confrontation (including EMP). Tubes was the best thing going at the time for survivabilty of that kind of warfare.
    Most of my gear is tube. Not because of EMP but because I like it. Maybe us boatanchor guys are ahead of the game as far as EMP..lol
    Anybody else know of this or the theory behind it?

K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2002, 12:06:26 AM »

Check out the Lightning/EMP protectors by I.C.E. (Industrial Communications Engineers, Inc) and Polyphaser. Properly installed and connected to a good ground system, Either of these products should protect against a distant EMP event. Should there be an "EMP" event, how would one know that there would not be one, two or more such events in the near future? So by having a radio stored inside a metal box, unhooked to protect it is fine, But when it comes time to hook it up and use it, I feel safer having some inline protection!  Some of the information I have seen indicates that a single air burst EMP over
the central part of the U.S. would wreck LOTS of unprotected radio equipment, at a very long distance. I would rather be like the boy scout "Be Prepared"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: