Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transmission Line Software Recomendation  (Read 392 times)
W5RH

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2002, 12:29:03 PM »

Can anyone recommend to me some transmission line software?

I would like to take the results of an EZNEC antenna analysis session and translate the feed Z  back to the input of a length of coax or openwire line.  Freeware or share ware doesn't matter....just so it does the trick...Thanks...Rick...W5RH      
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2002, 12:49:48 PM »

Rick, the best I have found is TL or the Windows version TLW that's included with late editions of the ARRL Antenna Book.

Either version will take any common feedline, any length, the resistance and reactance at the antenna, and tell you what's what. Loss, SWR at the load, SWR at the transmitter/tuner, and max voltage and where that max voltage is on the line.

Better yet - the results agree with reality. These days that's a really valuable attribute.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
W5RH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2002, 01:04:34 PM »

Pete,  Thanks.  Will it also tell me the impedence R +jx, etc. ?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2002, 01:14:39 PM »

I own a Macintosh, and there isn't much available, certainly not EZNEC. This sort of relegates me to using a Smith chart and plotting the answer for myself. This serves two purposes.

First, unless you have a good idea about WHAT the impedance should be, and you use EZNEC or one of the other available programs, you might not believe what it tells you.

Secondly, you'll have an appreciation of the mathmatics.

ALan, KØBG

AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2002, 02:20:57 PM »

Hi again Rich: Yes, put in the numbers your antenna program gives you for resistance and reactance and it will tell you what resistance and reactance your tuner will see.

And while you are at it, try changing the feedline length a foot or two at a time. You will be surprised at the effect that has on what the tuner has to match.

73  Pete AC5E
W5RH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2002, 09:28:51 AM »

Alan,

Thanks, I agree wholeheartedly and utilize the SmithChart for an individual problem.  With the Smithchart you understand the mechanics and it gets you thinking in a more informed way about your antenna system.  What I want to do with the software is a series of iterations varying feedline length and antenna Z and do it all during a Powerpoint presentation on antenna system design.    

I appreciate your note....Thanks..Rick...W5RH

W5RH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2002, 09:34:34 AM »

Great, Pete,  this loks like it might be what I am looking for.  Thanks for all of your help...Rick...W5RH
W3FRG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2002, 03:21:41 AM »

You might want to try the software on AC6LA s site, XLZIZL and EZPLOTS would be two good candidates. I use both and they are very good and easily used.
http://www.qsl.net/ac6la/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: