Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help me choose between AL-80B and AL-811H  (Read 1490 times)
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 06:16:50 AM »

I think all amateur radio amplifiers are "toys".  I have listened to many AL-811's and AL-80B's on the air.  When used properly, I can't hear the difference between the two or others for that matter.  I have owned both and currently own an AL-80A.  It may be my favorite.  I would buy what you can afford and put up the best antenna you can.  An inexpensive doublet as high in the air as you can get it, has worked well for me.

73 to all.

k0cwo
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 03:28:20 PM »

I find the 811 and the 811H both good solid amps for casual operation, btu if you plan on doing any serious contesting, RTTY or other high duty cycl operations to go with th al 80 b.  the 811's can run so hot they pohysically melt the meter movement on the amp.  for casual use they are fine.  I have multiple amps  and one of my favorites it the kenwood tl 922a ( on the ts-2000) , which uses 2 3-500z's, and easy to tune, and quiet.

I also have an alpha 87 A on the orion,( my best amp) and a IC-2-KL on the 746 pro, and a als 600 on the Pegasus.
the alpha works best for contesing, and the kenwood is easy "old school" amp for fun.

I have also owned everything from sweep tube amps, to RM  junk to clipperton L's , and several 811 and 811H's. but the ones I kept I enjoy.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 06:12:46 AM »

The AL80B is a much better amp not only cause of the tube (3-500Z) but the amp has so much more to offer. A real PI/PI-l tank,the rf deck is seprate from the PS,step start PS,larger xfmr,better cooling,its desiged from the AL80A aka W8JI who started Ameritron and I do think he is still involved as a sub contrator for MFJ/Ameritron,it will do 800watss all day long and about 1kw ssb pep. The AL-811/H are tonka toys next to the AL80b. I have owned SB-200,SB-220s,QRO 1000(the best single 3-500 amp ever) alpha 78's,77DX,91B and a HB 8877 amp in the past 40yrs of hamming and now use an AL-80B. Its just a solid amp for what you pay and yes you can buy better amps but they cost more plus the cost of the tube will be more as well.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 05:18:09 PM »

I have had my 811H for well over a year and it works great! The tubes are cheap if they go bad and the amp is easy to tune and load. I thought of getting (the 80B was my initial choice) the 80B but the wife said to get the 811H because it was cheaper and nuff' said there! Someday, i want to get a bigger amp (legal limit) but for now the 811H is here in my shack!!
5R8GQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 08:35:40 PM »

Forget both and get yourself a good used AL80A
rigged for 240 VAC. It has a much, much better power supply than the AL80B and will run the higher power than the AL80B cooler and more efficiently.

73, Ken 5R8GQ/AD6KA
NK4I

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 07:29:41 PM »

I too was stuck between the 811H and 80B about 3 months ago.  After reading plenty of material on the Internet, I decided to go with the 80B for a couple of reasons.  

1) Single tube design.
2) The ability to run around 500W 'til the cows come home and never be close to it's limits.
3) Better instrumentation over the 811H.

Having used the 80B for a couple of months, I'm very happy with my choice and would do it all over again without reservation.  

I did convert it over to 240V, which I would highly recommend.  Well, actually 245V, after doing voltage checks for several days at various times during the day.  I'm lucky in that I have a sub-panel in my shack.  I'm not seeing hardly any voltage drop when testing at higher power (around 900W) after the conversion.

I have to echo the previous comments about investing in the antenna as well.  I reworked my homebrew inverted-V fan dipole which helped a lot.  Especially when I considered the components I had used when making it and that I was now expecting it to handle substantially more power.  I've also got some new LMR-400 to replace the existing well-aged feedline.

Tighe
NK4I
OH7PS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 08:18:41 AM »

Hi Aadu

Well i don't have 80B (yet) just had 811H for a while thou never used it because it was a bit noisy - well not even close to my recently sold THP 1KW mosfet amp but had some resonat problems Smiley

I am also wondering which amp to buy and because I am living in a suburban area with lots of neighbors so I decided to stick with 1KW output (no "reports" from my dear neighbors), or slight above for a reserve. My antenna is just OCF dipole (windom) some 7m up but I can tell you that 1KW did a huge difference - time to time I was the pileup buster.

Tomorrow I will get SB-220 and eagerly waiting what it has to offer - I have ordered some mods from Harbach. If it turns out to be a dissappointment I will order 80B from Holland based on web reviews, it must be a "killer".

So my advise is AL-80B. Might be that soon I have 2 amps Smiley

Best 73
Pentti
Espoo

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: