Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 meter propagation  (Read 487 times)
KC8SVW

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2002, 09:53:03 PM »

When exactly does 10 meters open up? Been listening for a month w/ little success. I heard somewhere that propagation is good during the day and bad during the night, but this could be wrong. Thanks.

Drew
KC8SVW
AD5LT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2002, 11:38:50 PM »

Drew, check out the antenna links on this site it will be on the left side of the screen type in beacons. Next page that comes up will have a list of links for various beacon list. Click on the first one which is ten meter beacon and it will give you a list of beacon stations, frequency, type of antenna, power and the location of the beacon. From my qth here in southern New Mexico I hear Australia almost daily at about 2200-2230z with a great signal.South America for a couple of hours starting about 1800z Dont be bashfull toss out a general cq you might be delightfully surprised with a return call. If everyone just listens they think yep 10 meters sure is dead.
Tom AD5LT
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2002, 08:47:33 AM »

This topic deserves/requires so much more time and words than I can offer - especially in a small post...Try the ARRL handbook.

You need to read up on things like maximum usable frequency (MUF), sunspots, K and A indices, the (approx.) eleven-year sunspot cycle, etc.

10 meters, of all the HF bands, by virtue of its being the highest frequency HF band, requires the highest MUF and therefore requires the highest sunspot numbers for decent propagation.  It generally requires daylight for any kind of DX capability.

To add spice to the topic, we are now heading into a sunspot minimum (in the 11-year cycle) and so you better operate 10m while you can.

KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2002, 10:53:21 AM »

As I understand it, 10 meter season is usually October through April (in general).  I've noticed increased activity in the last 2 weeks. Usually it begins to open up little bit now, and by October-November should be doing much better.  I rarely hear a lot of activity after the sun goes down. But this could be due to the fact that I use a dipole.  Even though we are on the other side of the solar cycle peak and declining, we should have at least one more good season for 10 meters. That's my 2 cents. 73, Merrill.
N5EIL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2002, 03:11:50 PM »

Hi,

If you want tune in and around 28.000 to 28.500 Cw and SSB and start listening around 4-7 pm ( central) normally i hear at least one or several good DX stations on during that time..... in the winter try earlier in the morining. rarely after dark or even 8 pm central here will i get anything , I run just a 18 awg. ( speaker wire ... hehehe) dipole. so just try around those times and i don't know but here in texas Ten is hot.

if there isn't any ssb or Cw ops out there tune to 28.120 +/- 3KHz and 28.160 +/- 3 khz and turn on that computer and there is almost always a psk'er on there during good activity.

73 N5EIL , Neil
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2002, 03:24:10 PM »

I have and old cheep C.B. radio in my shack just for this reason.  I turn on the cb and listen , if skip is in on the cb, ( you will know it !) then I go on ten and yell cq.  A lot of times 10 will open and no one is on so you don't know, but this method works... (and they say CB is not good for any thing, it makes a gerat beacon  hi hi)  tom N6AJR
KC0IOX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2002, 12:21:02 AM »

I go to the CW portion of the band, and when I hear the freebanding CBers start to come in, I figure it's open, such was the case this weekend.  It is pretty much a "school year" band and starts to open when the schools do, and closes up about the time that most schools are getting ready for prom.  I'm a school teacher, and know this because I never get to use the darn thing when it's at it's best, except on weekends, and when I have all summer to play radio, I can't buy a decent 10 meter contact! Wink (At least I have my Christmas break) Go figure.  73 and good luck.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2002, 12:15:39 PM »

If you have a mulitband HF rig, or even a receiver, tune into WWV at 18 minutes past each hour and they provide about one minute's worth of audio with propagation information based on solar and geomagnetic influences, which are great indicators of when the bands will be open, and which ones will be.

If the SFI (solar flux index) is >200 and has been for at least one day, and the A and K indexes are low (0 or 1), ten meters is almost guaranteed to be open.  When the SFI drops to <100 and the A and K indexes are >2, 10 meters is almost guaranteed to be totally dead.

These reports are available on many internet websites also, if you can't hear WWV directly.

WB2WIK/6
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2002, 06:50:27 AM »

There's one word in your question that is inappropriate when discussing (and cussing) 10m...and that's "exactly."  There sure isn't anything exact about 10m propagation.  WB2WIK already gave you some good pointers.  As a general rule of thumb, 10m is best in the mornings and evenings...mornings to the the east and evenings to the west.  Midday is often good into South America form here in the USA.  The band peaks up in the spring and fall, especially around the equinox, when paths into south Africa (mornings) and Australia and New Zealand (evenings) can be very good.  Again, in general, the band will tend to be closed more and more as we move away from the solar peak.  All this is concerned with F2 layer skip.  Sporadic E openings often occur around June over much shorter paths (around 1000 to 1200 miles) without regard to the solar conditions or time of day, and often are very localized in nature.  I'll go out on a limb here and predict that one morning this month you will turn on your radio and there will be Europeans all over the band.  You didn't say what kind of an antenna you are using, but a small yagi with some gain will knock the socks off a vertical or dipole on 10.
M3SDX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2002, 06:54:55 PM »

the 10m band opens up better towards the winter months sept-oct to april-may, this is usually the best time for this band just has a rough guide.

jim M3SDX  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: