donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:  (Read 4737 times)
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2002, 03:19:40 PM »

Anyone ever find coax for HF that rats and mice don't eat?  The pack rats here LOVE to chew on and sometimes through insulated wire.  With rg8 type cable, they only chew away patches of the outer insulation down to the shield.  They almost make it through RG8X to the center conductor.

Since it is antenna season, I’ll be experimenting with antennas more than 150 feet away from my house, and don’t feel like trenching.  I prefer laying the coax on the ground, rather than stringing it through Palo Verde trees, and over the jumping cactus here—it sticks out like a sore thumb when its run through trees and on top of cacti.
Bob
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2002, 03:27:01 PM »

... aluminum hard line from CATV companies is cheap and plentiful ... I use 50 ohn Heliax myself, and the critters don't bother with it, but my ragular coax, they chew up.
KF4HEY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2002, 04:50:44 PM »

Bob,

The fuzzy tail rats (aka grey squirrels) down here on the Gulf Coast will gnaw through anything (power cables, phone lines, coax, plumbing vents, etc.).  I found that a coating of roofing tar from Home Depot keeps the little buggers away.  They don't seem to relish the taste of asphalt.  You might try that if you can't find some hardline.

Mike KF4HEY
KA4WJA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2002, 05:09:14 PM »

Bob,
I've found that Davis RF "Bury Flex" is the answer to your (and my) troubles with criiters eating away the cable jackets.......

Apparently the PE (poly-ethelyene) jacket is either a bit too tough, or they don't like the taste of it.....or it's too slippery....or all of the above...
But, I've yet to have any teeth marks in the jacket, let alone any damage to the cable at all.....after years and years of use......

I suppose you CAN use any PE jacketed coax (there are some "9913-types", "9914-types" like the "Bury-Flex", etc...) or if you wish to spend the $$$$, then try some hardline, heliax, etc.....
(Not sure, but I believe Teflon (PTFE) jackets are also fairly impervious to the "critters".....)

In the OLD days, I used some Times FM-8.....PE jacketed, low-loss "foam" dialectric "RG-8"....
It was good stuff, and similar to the bury-flex...
Not sure if it's still being made.....last time I saw some was about 20 years ago......

[I myself use Davis RF's  "Bury Flex" for ALL my HF antennas.....and heliax for my moombounce array.....
But, as I've mentioned to others here, the "Bury Flex" is actually VERY low-loss stuff (approx  0.1db/100' more loss that 9913 at vhf) and can certainly be used for vhf/uhf applications.....and perform VERY well...]

You can buy direct from the manufacturer.....and they will send your order, with an Invoice to be paid....when you inspect your order, and find that your shippment is complete and correct, all they ask is that you pay the invoice/send them a check!!!!!  {While in business, I find 30 or 60 day accounts to be the normal rule of thumb.....in my opinion, it is VERY rare, in the ham radio world, to find a company that will ship a product WITHOUT a credit card......All they ask for is your callsign, and that you pay the invoice, WHEN YOU ARE SATISFIED!!!!!
In addition to the above, Steve Davis is a GREAT guy, to not only do business with, but when it comes to cable/wiring, he REALLY knows his stuff....}

Check out
www.davisrf.com

You can also by "Bury Flex" from The RadioWorks, and from The Wireman......

Good luck.
John,    KA4WJA

AD6JN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2002, 06:34:41 PM »

If you need to use the coax you have put it in PVC or steel electrical conduit.  I believe 3/4 inch is big enough to pass the connectors so you won't have to re-make those.  They also have sweeping bends but I have not checked to see if a Pl-259 will pass.  There are larger conduits.

PVC conduit looks nice and is somewhat self supporting over short spans.

Bob AD6JN
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2002, 06:41:37 PM »

There is a product called "Bird-no-more" which is a parafin-based, rather oily product intended to keep birds (mainly pigeons) off rooftops, gutters, and such. It is a mess to use, and one does not want to get it on one's skin. But if you'll put up with the negatives, it will absolutely keep everyting "OFF" what ever you put it on. I'm not sure what all it contains, but I do know some of the mixture is really hot pepper oil. The only source I know about is Graybar Electric, but I'm sure others carry the product. When I lived in the Kansas City, area I used it to keep squirrels off my quad. It worked, and other local hams swore about how good it worked.

Good Luck.

Alan, KØBG

W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2002, 10:31:16 PM »

Hardline is no guarantee . I've seen where squirrels chewed through the aluminum outer conductor on 1/2" cable hardline to get to the sweet insulation inside . It looks a lot like someone held it against a grinding stone .Consider getting a snake?
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2002, 11:35:38 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  I've copied and saved them with my antenna files.

Have FUN, Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: