Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats up with IRCs?  (Read 269 times)
N4ZZK

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2003, 05:21:23 PM »

Its been a while since I've purchased any International Reply Coupons.   When I recently went to the local post office (two of them actually),  I was surprised to hear that they are now obsolete.  One clerk checked with a supervisor who said they were supposed to "send them back if they had any on the shelf."

I also checked the USPS.COM site and postal store and can't find any mention of them or where to get them if they are still available.

Any info would be appreciated.  

73, Al

WN3VAW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 05:33:51 PM »

IRC's themselves are not obsolete, but there is a redesign of the IRC itself.  The new IRC's are significantly larger and have an expiration date of 5 years, whereas the older ones are smaller and theoretically never expire.

But don't buy them at the Post Office.

Contact an active QSL manager (for example KU9C, W3HNK, W3MC, and so on) to see if he/she has any available.  Rather than redeem them, most QSL managers would rather sell them to you.

Why?  Simple economics. An IRC new at the post office, if you can find a postal clerk that knows what they are and how to handle them, costs you $1.75.  But you can only redeem it for an $.80 air mail stamp -- $.60 if it's going to Canada or Mexico.

A QSL Manager will sell you that same IRC for anywhere from $.90 to $1.25, depending on who you deal with and how many you buy (most give you a break when buying in bulk).  This lets them spend the cash on the stamps, and the little bit left over helps pay for the little misc. costs, like QSL card printing.  And the Postal Service or overseas equivlent could care less where the IRC came from if & when it is redeemed, it's still only worth 1 unit of air mail postage.  (Why do some hams need 2 or 3 IRC's?  Because in some countries, a letter to North America takes 2 or 3 air mail postage units.)

So buying your IRC's from a manager is a "win-win" situation for everyone.

73, ron wn3vaw
AD6JN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2003, 06:01:53 PM »

They are still defined in the International Mail Manual IMM Issue 28, Jan. 2003, Section 372.

"...they are stocked at Post Offices that have a demand..."

The local Post Master should be able to help or tell you which P.O.s have them.

Bob AD6JN
KG4OOA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2003, 10:58:58 PM »

I bought several about a year ago at the main post office at Tampa International Airport. The person at the desk took about 15 minutes but he did come up with them. Most of the employees just don't want to take the time for an item that isn't called for on a regular basis.
N4ZZK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2003, 10:20:13 AM »

Ron, Bob and Bob,
Thanks for the good info, and quick replies.  I found and printed some of the material mentioned, for future reference

73, Al  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: