donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:  (Read 3894 times)
KC2IVZ

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2003, 12:54:03 PM »

What results will I have using a B&W folded dipole on a flat roof elevation 100 ft.
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 01:35:46 PM »

The BW folded dipole works fine if given enough distance from other objects.  It needs to be installed at least 25 feet above the ground, or in your case, above the roof.  If the roof is metal, this could create a problem.  The higher above the roof you can get it the better.  But the instructions with the antenna say it can be (when installed above the ground) as low as 25 feet at the center with the ends draping to as low as 12 feet.  Obviously it will work better if you have it up 35 feet all the way, from end to end.  

This antenna (I have one) is a compromise antenna that works quite well across the entier HF spectrum, but it will not be as good as a single-band dipole.  If other antennas, metal guy cables, steel posts, etc. are close to it, they will definitely affect its performance.  However, it can still do a reasonable job of getting you on the air, on all HF ham bands, even 160 meters, with at least 'some' success.  These antennas are used by the government in ALE applications, with power levels from 100 watts on up.  They do work.  But you will need to get yours as clear of the roof as you can.

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: