Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hy-gain antenna quality under MFJ ownership  (Read 387 times)
KC1XU

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2003, 07:49:59 PM »

Years past I have owned a couple of hy-gain yagis.  These were well designed, constructed and were of good quality control.  I am now considering the purchase of a TH-11, but am very leary of what I would be getting now that MFJ is making them instead.  My experience over the years with MFJ products has been low cost low quality.  The TH-11 is certainly NOT low cost, but I doubt MFJ has the quality control proceedures in place for hy-gain products.  Has anyone RECENTLY purchased a TH-7 or TH-11?
Keith
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 09:46:30 PM »

I think the idea that MFJ equals poor quality is unfounded. It is human nature to complain, but not to praise. I personally have not purchased any item from MFJ that I was disatisfied with. And folks I know who have been disatisifed, have all been impressed with their customer service and their ability to "fix" the problem.

Personally, I wouldn't be quesy about buying anything from MFJ, especially a HyGain branded antenna.

Alan, KØBG

AA8RF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2003, 10:25:16 PM »

Everything I have purchased from MFJ has been "Mighty Fine Junk". Mobile antennae that work great, but for 1/3 price and the life as a Diamond for example. Lots of small connectors made cheaply. A knock off of the K-400 mobile mount that looks the same but bends easily even though it is "Heavy Duty".

I like their stuff fine, but in the case of MFJ I have found you get what you pay for IMO.

-Jim
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 02:56:21 PM »

Well, I bought a 962 tuner, Ameritron 811A & a MFJ  electronic keyer. Products are not mil-spec build quality (did not pay for it either), yet all items have never had a failure & function as advertised.
WD5KCA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 07:47:25 PM »

I had trouble with their cheapo long wire tuner.  The knobs came off and the cabinet was built crappy.
On the other hand I have more costly 989C tuner that has been fine since I bought it second hand 4 years ago.

Maybe the original owner fixed it?? I dunno
KC1XU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 08:13:21 PM »

I appreciate everyones responses.  I am not trying to flame MFJ.  They make products that are low cost, hence they can not be the hghest quality, and many times this IS a resonable compromise.  However, in the case of the TH-11, it is a premium priced product and I'm concerned it may not retain the original hy-gain quality standards.

Has anyone purchased a TH-7 or TH-11 in the past 6 months???
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2003, 10:26:04 PM »

My guess would be that Hy-gain antennas are still designed and built in the Hy-gain plant.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2003, 02:07:04 AM »

For what it's worth, HY-GAIN antennas, rotors, etc. apparently moved the "production" from the old TELEX facility in Nebraska to Mississippi, where MFJ is located.  There was a several month wait period during the transition period when I had to wait to order replacement parts for an OLD HY-GAIN antenna (60's vintage) but I WAS able to get replacement parts, albeit slightly different, with slightly different physical characteristics.  But still worked.
    I believe HY-GAIN is now part of MFJ, lock, stock and barrel (and production facility.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: