Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crow or crows foot antenna  (Read 653 times)
N4NOO

Ignore
« on: October 08, 2003, 01:40:59 PM »

Could someone tell me what a Crows foot antenna is and any advantages or disadvantages that they have.
Thanks,

Rick - N4NOO
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 01:47:51 PM »

Only time I've even heard that term, it related to German Army tanks used during WW2, and was a vertical antenna with varying length elements extending at angles near its top, to provide resonance at multiple frequencies.

Is there some other kind of "crows foot antenna?"

WB2WIK/6
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 02:40:09 PM »

Crows foot, dont know... but how about a crows nest? That's the thing they attach multiple antennas on at the top of a tower. Not an antenna per se, but a place to mount antennas.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 02:48:06 PM »

Since I used to play around with model building years ago, and built models of German war tanks, I remember the spiny pole sticking up higher than anything else on the tank used to be referred to as the "crows foot antenna."

I have seen similar antennas on people's homes, presumably used for scanner receivers (although I've never used one, myself).  Seems to me to be the equivalent of vertical dipoles having multiple resonances based on multiple element lengths.  Can't see why this would be particularly "good."  The multiple elements tilted at different angles do look like a bird's foot.

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: