Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clone Error VX-5R  (Read 1243 times)
KR9DRM

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2004, 10:01:15 PM »

Hello,

Just got my VX-5R programming cable, tried transferring data to my VX-5R, but am getting a "clone error" message.  Is it me, the cable, the radio, or the computer?  I am using VX-5R Commander software, Windows 2000 software.  I have heard that this program and EVE may not work with Win 2000, could this be thre problem?  The only other possibilities are the cable, which is brand new, or the radio.  Is Yaesu blocking the ability of their radios to be programmable these days?  This radio is brand new.  I am tearing my hair out trying to figure out what to do.  Thanks.

KR9DRM out
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 10:16:11 PM »

I tried it once and gave it up... I program by hand.. easier.
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 01:32:12 AM »

I've had the "clone error" message before, but I never could figure out exactly what was causing it.  A reset made the error go away.  I always attributed it to something flaky in the serial port settings that was made right by a cold boot of the radio.

Fortunately, early on when I DIDN'T have the clone error I dumped the radio and saved it.  I was able to cold-boot the radio and restore the settings with EVE.  You can be a lot more brave when you have a good backup of the radio, something that's not too easy to do when you are getting the "clone error" messare.

The VX-5 requires you to save and/or assign a "template" with basic settings separate from the frequencies/offsets in memory, then you save your memories over (or in context with) the template.  Sorry, this is actually easier to understand than it is to explain.

There's lots of good help out there, mostly from EVE users/programmers.  You might try posting your question to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VX5EVE/
K8JDC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 08:09:41 AM »

I use the ADMS-1G software on my VX-7RB and it works fine with Win XP.  I believe the instructions said that you had to make sure you downloaded the radio's settings first prior to trying to upload any new memory packages into the radio.  This was basically a procedure to read out the current configuration of the radio so that the same configuration could be used when writing to the radio.  Failure to do this could result in a cloning error.  I don't know if the Commander software has the same issue, but I bet it does.

I have about 200 channels programmed into my VX-7RB complete with nice alphanumeric channel labels and everything.  Everything from local repeaters to TV frequencies to air traffic control.  It's very very nice.  Hope this helps...

Dave / K8JDC
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 02:44:50 PM »

This is probably off base, but.....On some commercial radios, there is a set procedure, IE: make sure the radio is off, connect the cable, power up the computer, when the computer is fully up, turn on the radio.....

Sometimes the procedure is not immediately pointed out in the programming instructions, and if it is not followed you'll get error messages.  Also, downloading the current configuration insures the connection is correct and properly functioning.  You would be surprized how many times just wiggling the connection will sometimes clear up connection problems in all kinds of data type connections.

Hope this helps and good luck.
K8JDC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 04:29:39 PM »

I should have mentioned in my earlier post that I've seen the problem I noted definitely cause cloning errors in the past.  (Experience is always the best teacher).  You only have to do this config download once per radio, I think, or anytime you modify it (such as doing a MARS mod and having to reset the radio).  Once it's done properly, you should be able to download to the radio by using the standard procedure.  

JDC
KD4TWP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 12:44:15 AM »

at one time i had it working, i had a ham from the 2 call area tel me he did someting to his vx5 and it worked but thats been a few years back
KD4TWP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 12:45:43 AM »

i can now get the commander to download and read from the vx5 but still will not let me program anything into it
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: