Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hustler 6btv - broken 75 meter resonator  (Read 277 times)
WB9TEV

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2004, 12:55:40 AM »

Any ideas for a fix??
While trying to fix a minor problem on my vertical... I accidentally broke the threaded coupler between the bottom of the 75/80 meter resonator and the top of the lower section is screws into this coupler is now broken off 1/2 in the resonator the other 1/2 in the lower mating section. At first  I assume I   could use like an "easy out
 and turn the broken pieces out of each unit. This is not the case. the part broken in the resonator does turn easy but will not back out. I am assuming it is some how captured and may not be a threaded item anyway..

the part broken in the lower section I can not even get it to break loose and turn it..

I have though about using a drill and tap on both sections and then use a thread rod about 1 to 1.5 inches long ..

any ideas? am I missing something? any ideas and or fixes would sure be appreciated very much!!

thanks

Dan
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 03:14:37 PM »

It sounds like the parts were overtightened to begin with, taken apart then put together and overtightened again (and again, maybe) resulting in your situation.  I believe the resonator has a knurled collar in the bottom that is threaded for the stud to connect the parts together.  If some way can be found to remelt the plastic (if it is plastic) and resecure the knurled collar, you may have a chance to get the stud out.  If there is no knurled collar, the threading is probably stripped and is now next to useless.  The only remedy will be to drill and tap for a new smaller stud--if you can find some way to stop the old one from turning.  One way would be to drill a small hole right at the junction where the thread of the stud and the resonator come together and put a small screw or a piece of thin rodding into the small hole to stop the old stud from turning.  
The other half of the stud (in the other part of the antenna) has probably had the piece of the thread at the break bent outward acting something like a tooth on a star lockwasher.  Use a small drill and drill a small shallow hole right at the point where the thread on the stud ends.  If you can, get the easyout tool into the remainder of the stud and try to remove it.  If it now moves, even a little, you just have to work it out, back and forth.  (You can try to drill a small hole into the center of the broken stud and tap it for say a 6-32 screw.  Put the screw (with a nut already on it) into the tapped hole and tighten the nut against the stud.  This will give you something anchored into the stud--much better than an easyout.)  The remainder of the thread in the section should be enough to hold a new stud.
If, however, the threads in both sections have been deformed by overtightening your only option for a repair would be to drill and tap for a new smaller connector stud.
Good luck!  
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 03:20:41 PM »

One other thing--if the resonator is plastic and has a knurled collar for the connection, there would be a piece of wire fastened to the collar for the connection to the coil in the resonator--which may now be broken.  You may have to spring for a new resonator if this cannot be repaired.  You will probably have to get the resonator opened up to fix this, getting the stud out would be easier if you did open it.
WB9TEV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 03:58:41 PM »

Thanks for the good info. My vertical must be old old all parts are alumnium not plastic.. I wonder if that is good news or bad as since trhe "threaded portion" does turn inside the resonator I am hoping it doe snot have a connection inside. I seems metal to metal as far as where the threaded part is turning..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: