Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: N4PC Loop Help  (Read 562 times)
KB9TQO

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2004, 12:53:42 PM »

I am planning on tossing up a N4PC loop this weekend and have a question about the physical construction.

Not having access to the original CQ article, I am basing the design on the example model supplied with EZNEC.  

From what I have gathered, this antenna is a horizontally oriented, horizontally polarized wire loop antenna.

The difference being instead of one feedpoint, it is fed on opposite corners/sides (depending on pattern desired) 180 out of phase. The far corners of the loop are connected together by a 180 degree phase reversing harness made from a length of 450-ohm twin-lead or parallel ladder line.

The feedline to the receiver is another piece of 450-ohm twin-lead connected to the mid-points of the two conductors of the 180-degree phasing harness.

This seems straightforward enough to me so far.  My question is this:

If I were feeding this as a standard loop, the loop would be broken in only one spot along its perimeter, where the feedline would attatch.  Since I am now going to have two feedpoints along the perimeter of the loop, will it now be broken in two places?  I am assuming so but I wanted to check before I started cutting wire.

Thanks for any help

--ian
KB9TQO
W5RH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 02:44:10 PM »

Yes, you have to open it at 2 places.

If you get QST go back to August 2002....John Belrose wrote an article about a similar rendition of this N4PC loop.  Excellent article.

Also, this particular loop feed system was first highlighted by DJ4VM in Ham Radio magazine in August 1969

Paul Carr, N4PC's article appeared in CQ Dec 1990 for your reference.

GL...Rick...W5RH

KB9TQO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 04:01:04 PM »

Thank you so much Rick! This is exactly what I was looking for. The 2002 QST article is a great help, thanks for pointing it out.

--ian
kb9tqo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: