Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF  (Read 643 times)
KE4IZA

Ignore
HF
« on: February 22, 2003, 07:35:42 PM »

I am not new to ham radio as I have been licensed since 1994.  However I have had my HF rig for about a month now and have made 2 contacts.  I usually try each evening when I get home.  Most of the time I hear no talking.  Other times I hear faint conversation but can not understand anything and can not tune in.  Most of the time I barely hear the time on 10.000Khz.  I am apartment bound and have erected and a loop antenna around my livingroom, 13'x13' and attached it to my MFJ-949e tuner.  I can tune 10m through 80m but have poor reception, even on 40m AM shortwave the signals are bad.  This is a 2 story woodframe building and I am on the bottom floor.  I am at my ropes end and just about ready top sell the whole rig and forget ham radio.  At least the HF part.  I do not know what to do.  I tried a borrowed 40m ham stick outside with 3x33' radials and got worse reception than the indoor loop.  I understand the band can be up and down but 2 contacts in 30 days.  Give me a break!  I am in Plymouth, MI and talked to Union City,PA and St. Louis, MO with 40w on 20m and 80m.  Yes, I had a general licensed ham with me when I did it since I am a Tech Plus.  Am I missing something?  I guess I do not understand HF and antennas because I am going nowhere fast.

Any help is appreciated.

Jim Glenn - KE4IZA
734-451-7680
ke4iza@comcast.net

KL7IPV

Ignore
HF
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2003, 01:47:15 AM »

Jim,
    I don't want you to feel insulted........ Start over, FROM SCRATCH! Reinstall everything using the books that came with them. Be sure the radio, the tuner and the antenna is correct and no shorts exist. Check and position ALL the knobs on the radio and tuner, especially the back of the tuner if it has a selector knob there. Try different antennas switching back and forth between them. Do you hear any difference? You should. Each antenna should give you a different sound and indicator of it's reception values. Does turning the tuner antenna knob make a difference? Do you have the transmitter output connected to the tuner at the XMIT connector and the antenna connected to the ANT connector? Is the reception better WITHOUT the tuner in the line? I would start over since it wouldn't be the first time that familiarity caused errors. It is very easy for us to overlook the simplest thing in our haste to get it up and running. In almost 40 years at this, the simple goofs are the ones that cost me the most time. Good luck.
Frank
KL7IPV
KF4ZGZ

Ignore
HF
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2003, 07:03:35 AM »

I have never had any luck with indoor HF antennas. I think you're doing pretty good to get two contacts. If I remember earlier posts, you have pretty severe restrictions. Can you get to the roof to lay a dipole or loop on the roof? Or can you have a quick , easy to deploy antenna that you can put up only when you need it?
  After doing as the first post said, maybe try a temporary outside antenna...after dark, of course!
  I will be glad to answer any antenna questions ( or otherwise) directly if you would like to email me.

73 & good luck, Matt, kf4zgz

"...never, ever, give up!" <--- Jimmie V
WD6EJN

Ignore
HF
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 05:12:06 PM »

by KE4IZA on February 22, 2003  Mail this to a friend!  

I am not new to ham radio as I have been licensed since 1994. However I have had my HF rig for about ..........................................................................

I just moved again from another location (home sweet home?)although I am just a temporary guest!!
I have to remove the wire as often as I put it up.
But I just made a contact with a station over 400 miles away and I know if I go back on 40 can make as many contacts as I want,, although making a contact is not unusual for 40 meters as opposed to other bands,, it is when one considers my past track record for having to use less than adequate antennas.
It seems there is something different about the area!
whether the walls are not pure stucco or the ground
is more moist (it could even be the rain!!).
But I am going to look into this! I wonder if it has anything to do with being in a retirement (cheaper construction) community (don't laugh)- could this be why there are more elderly hams on the air!!

I am going to make another futile effort to get hams
with antenna restrictions to make contacts and not
worry about the usual hurdles.
check for new  topic one more time, as I have a new idea, inconsequencial to my new discovery with this recent contact.
I think the best bands to get on are below 40 meters
at night,,,late at night.
Consider a point sorce of light (below 40 meters) as opposed to a beam of light (above 40),,now think of a lamp shade (ionosphere) being brought close (below 40)
then away as above 40.
there is much more energy closer to the lamp, then
when you go on the higher bands using an indoor antenna.
the exception to this is scatter mode where a yagi or
dish can be aimed out a skylight and not cause tvi.

KB5ADE

Ignore
HF
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2003, 06:31:27 PM »

You've described a loop antenna.  Is it horizontal (all parts of the antenna are the same height from the floor) or vertical (90 degrees to the floor).  It should be vertical.  You'll have to reduce the size of the loop to get it to hang from a hook at the ceiling on the wall.  You can spread out the loop with two other hooks on the wall, half way between the ceiling and floor.  The loop would only have one bottom point, which would be the feed points for the antenna.  The loop will really look like a square, but with the two bottom sides at 45 degree angles to the floor.  You cn also go to google.com and enter the search argument "apartment loop antenna".  Don't get off the air!  We need you out here!

CUL 73 de KB5ADE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: