Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna Restricted Try ECHOLINK  (Read 765 times)
KG4LMU

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2003, 03:36:00 PM »

I lived in an apartment community and wasnt able to have very much in the way of antenna's. To my good fortune I found out about echolink. If you have a computer or link in you area that accepts DTMF control this will fill you ailing needs of communication. Awesome software I have moved since I first found echolink and now have my own link to help those not so fotunate.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 08:12:40 AM »

Echolink, while fun at first, is a really poor replacement for amateur radio operation.  What we need is some rights to erect reasonable antennas at all locations.  Time spent talking on the computer is NOT time spent talking on the radio.

Dennis - KG4RUL
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 11:30:44 AM »

IRLP at least involves a RADIO (albiet 2m or 70cm)at each end of the conversation. How is it "radio" if you sit at a computer and the entire call is on the twisted pair? (except of course for the cross town microwave or fiber the phone co. uses) YAHOO CHAT is simpler and the "START-UP" is less expensive.

Although I NEVER have initiated any ECHOLINK calls, I DO attempt to answer any who call the ECHOLINK that serves this area if I happen to be listening. I am not so "stuck-up" as to deprive the other person of their QSO.  I do chuckle when they ask for a QSL card, or EXCLAIM HOW FAR THEY ARE TALKING!

I have had some VERY NICE conversations via ECHOLINK and IRLP... And have talked to places in the world at a time when propagation (or the limitations of my antenna system) would EXCLUDE such a feat.

I know of two VERY RESTRICTED apartment dwellers, who in leiu of a big antenna and home station have opted instead to have a VERY comprehensive MOBILE station.  The one gentleman goes so far as to park his rig by his apartment window, run cables, cords, etc. into his apartment and operate from the comfort of his Kitchen table.  Fridge, Coffee Maker, Microwave, Color T.V. all within easy reach.  Yet his antenna is not attached to the building. (BTW: he obtained WAS in about 7 months from that configuration.)

The other has (been forced) to adopt Mountain Topping and also passing out COUNTIES as he mobiles along the highways.  (parking next to his fifth floor window is a bit tricky)

Neither would consider "internet alternatives". Self-proclaimed, they are "too creative" to stoop to dwelling restrictions.

Enjoy your internet based comms, however also plan for the times that crutch is taken away from you.  Be it at the hands of terrorists or Consolidated Edison.

CAM - N7NBB

K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 01:43:36 AM »

Echolink is indeed a fine mode!
Those who knock it seem to know very little of it's
many ways of operation, Including full RF without
using the phone lines!
Echolink works great!   It is NOT a replacement
for HF! It is simply another great mode to enjoy.
Echolink could be a simple "chat room" type of operation between computers via "land lines" OR it could be linking RF repeaters or links via Broadband
fiberoptic lines and satellite links with NO phone
lines involved.
Yes, A single cut fiberoptic line may take out an entire area for Echolink use, Just like a solar flare
can wipe out HF operations for a period of time.
Nothing is 100%..........    Including HF operations...
Use and enjoy Echolink instead of trying to knock it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: