Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can HAM operator buy a new house?  (Read 2377 times)
KB1IUB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2003, 12:23:31 PM »

:For What it's worth, new houses are NOT a good value. :Older is better, as you have already been told. My
:daughter and her husband just bought an older house a :couple of month ago - built in 1770 - predates the
:founding of this country!

Don't spread such malicious rumors.  A new
home is based on modern construction, which
follows modern engineering & sanitary concerns.
A house built in 1770 is joke compared to the
structure of a modern house.  The sizing and
height of the rooms in addition to the lack
of some amenities or a large need of updating
all the services will confront any purchaser.
It is best to buy something new that was built
by a reputable builder.  If it was built properly,
it will be like night and day.

The biggest concern should be zoning of the
town or municipal government versus CC&Rs.
Everyone still has to put up with those regardless
of having CC&Rs or not.

Bill
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2003, 01:19:28 PM »

KB1IUB, I don't know how many houses you have owned, but I have owned sixteen now (I'm in #16 at this time) and I don't agree with you.  Having owned "brand new" and "quite old," and lots between, the only thing I actually like about new construction is that the architects and builders today recognize the marketing value of large, modern kitchens, bathrooms and closets and most new construction has these features.

However, here on the west coast (we're not all in Massachusetts!), of greater value and concern to experienced homeowners is earthquake survivability.  This is a serious concern, since hundreds of people die each year as the result of earthquakes, and many thousands more are highly inconvenienced by the devastation and destruction they can cause.  Earthquake insurance is nearly unobtainable here in California today, and in many other places as well -- so, the best defense against earthquakes is living in a home built on very, very solid ground.  The more solid, the better.  If it was ground carved by the glaciers a million years ago, so much the better.

Unfortunately, "new" construction is very rarely on such solid footing, since most new construction is actually built on fill, rather than natural grade.  Those are the first houses to cave in and collapse, since the fill was only compacted once, by bulldozers, and is not nearly as firm and steady as earth that was compacted thousands of years ago and has fully settled.  During the recent big quake in Northridge, CA (January 1994), nearly all the major damage to homes occurred to homes built in the past 20 or 30 years, and not ones built prior to that.

This is a factor very much worth considering in home site selection, at least west of the Rocky Mountains.

WB2WIK/6

NA6MB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2003, 02:57:23 PM »

Just a note on the post by "Dale - N0XAS"

Paraphrase: "Buy the last house built to get a jump on CCR expiration...."

Most CCRs I've seen AUTOMATICALLY RENEW UNLESS VOTED otherwise by an majority of owners. Try to get that one to pass!

BTW - all agents are working for the sale (read - commission) unless you sign them to a specific buyers agent agreement and you may have to pay for that.

Mike - N6OHS
KO5D

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2003, 01:20:44 PM »

Thanks to everybody for the information and advices.
I'm reading all your posts and trying to find some solution with your conciderations.
It's look like I almost gave up - after 2.5 month my agent says he doesn't have anything to mach my criteria.
 I started to talk to another agent and he immideatly said there is no way to find a new house without restrictions.
  I don't want any WAR with my wife,she already changed her mind from "new house" to house about 6-8 year old.Not more.
  I checked few spots to build house and they were in a awfull area,or too far,or some side of the mount with the angle about 20degree.
  Besides,the rate starts to claim up...Sigh
  From this point it looks like I have to put on hold my search.
Sergey
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2003, 03:04:25 PM »

Check out this eHam article:
http://www.eham.net/articles/3517

One of the suggestions I liked the best was this one:

"Be aware that an agent is only looking out for the bottom line, HIMSELF! Always ask an agent if he is working for the seller, too, or you exclusively. If he hesitates even for a second, find yourself another agent and ask the same question before becoming involved. If they tell you something that sounds too good to be true, check it out, TWICE.
Here is language to add to the bottom of the contract and make sure it is initialed by all parties INCLUDING the broker:

"Seller, agent and broker hereby warrant and affirm that there are no covenants, regulations or other restrictions past, present or pending, which prevent erection of amateur radio transmitting and receiving antennae, tower(s) and associated equipment upon the property described this contract. If it is found that such restrictions, regulations or covenants exist before, during or after execution of this contract, the contract shall immediately become null and void and all deposits, earnest monies, commissions and other expenditures by the buyer(s) will be returned within 72 hours, (3 working days) and the buyer(s) will be immediately released from any and all obligations, defaults, non performance, legal actions and penalties involved with the purchase of property described in the above contract."

"This may seem like a hard nosed way of doing business, but it spells out exactly what your intentions are and everyone had signed off on it. If anyone refuses to sign, RUN, DON'T WALK!!!!! Do not accept anything that is not in writing including, "Well, there is a ham down the street who has a tower in his yard so it is OK." That ham may well be grandfathered in, and don't be fooled by the presence of outside TV antennas, either! If it is not in writing and signed by all and something turns up, you are screwed!"

AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2003, 03:03:49 PM »

MS5AGI wrote:  
my neice lives in a city that allows no antennas none at all. tv is via cable all power is underground she had a scanner and gave it to me when i helped her move . the gate keeper told me to turn off all radio equiptment [am/fm ,scanner ect.]and remove the fuses! she has been fined for useing the wrong color garbage bags ! what a fine place to live"

I think I know the name of that "city." It's the California State Prison at San Quentin. The inmates there have more freedom than your neice does in her "high class neighborhood behind bars."

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2003, 09:41:34 AM »

Does that mean that the 'Gate Keeper' also has all Baby Monitors, Wireless Weather Stations, Cell Phones, Wireless Alarm Systems, TV Remote Extenders, TV 'Rabbit' Systems, WiFi Systems, etc. disabled?

Dennis
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2003, 11:17:30 AM »

There are places where you can still build a house where there are no CCRs.  We live in a subdivision in a house we built 6 years ago.  I applied for my permit, put my 30 foot tower up and my wife and I live happy lives.

There is no HOA.  If the neighbors intend to force the formation of an HOA on us, I plan to fight it.  I see HOAs as one of those yuppie deals where people are afraid to exert their own individuality and need to control what everybody else does.  Some people apparently like to seek the permission of others to do anything on their own property because they are afraid of disturbing their neighbors' sensibilities.  If that is the case, live like you wanna live and live the rest of us alone.

My wife and I bought a property for our use and enjoyment, exclusively.  Last time I looked, the US Constitution  guaranteed me certain rights within the boundaries of the laws and social norms of this country.  HOAs and their CCRs would invade, as Thomas Jefferson wrote in the Declaration of Independence my "pursue of happiness."

It is a pity, as a previous poster put it, that inmates in a prison have more rights than somebody that lives in a property controlled by an HOA with unreasonable CCRs.

If somebody has a beef about my antennae (ignorant complains about RF radiation, lightning dangers, etc.) so be it.  I have the permit from the town in my hand.

Good luck OM DE Bert @ KA2UUP.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2003, 10:17:04 AM »

Buy the new house! Unless you're  so into the hobby that anything less than a 50 foot tower and a 6 element beam is not acceptable, compromise and be creative with your antenna ideas. I've had 3 new houses in the last 10 years here in the Phoenix, AZ area. The first two, I was able to petition the HOA and got permission to erect multi band verticals. This last one...nada! That's OK- I installed mono band dipoles in the attic with a remote switch and one feedline to the shack. I'm thinking of adding a low profile screwdriver in the back where no one will see it. I've had the towers, beams, KW's in the past. There's no "skill" in working DX with that setup- anybody can do it! I've had more fun with the attic dipoles and 100 watts working DX- you actually have to "work" for it- imagine that! Sometimes you're frustrated in the pile-ups, but the satisfaction is greater when you do work it.

The pro's: new house- warranty, modern, up to date building technology, decorate from scratch, clean, new, not buying someone elses problems,no appliance, heater, air conditioner, water heater replacement for ten years or more, no roof replacement or repair for many years, choose your preferred house design- not a compromise. Wife is happy, kids are happy, you'll be happy that they're happy. Concealed antennas-neighbors won't bother you with RFI or tower complaints-they won't know you even have a ham radio station.

The con's: No outside antennas.

You're married--the wife, kids, house are your life. Radio is your hobby. Get your priorities straight.

This is just one opinion - Good luck and 73,
Bob, K7JQ
KA0GKT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2003, 05:57:00 PM »

Hmmm...I guess that I would have told the guard off.  The federal government has complete jurisdiction over EVERYTHING RF.  I would have informed him that I held a federal license for the equipment and, in a polite way, to back off. The association has no rights to limit my use of a transmitter.  This has been tested in federal courts.  They can, however limit the installation on the homes

They cannot, however limit outside antennas for local TV reception, nor can they limit the use of satellite dishes 24" and smaller in the contiguous 48 states plus Hawaii ( no size limit in Alaska )  This is a codafied FCC regulation.  You may find a link to the regulation in the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association) web site.

The reception of TV is protected.

Your installation of an amateur or CB or Broadcast FM or AM Shortwave broadcast or other than TV, however is not so protected, nor is the installation to receive distant TV (In my case, I couldn't put up a fringe antenna for the reception of Phoenix TV (If I wanted to)since I live in Tucson.  

On your personal car, specially as a visitor, they have no right to tell you to turn off your transmitter or not use the legally licensed equipment.

If we kowtow to the illegal and unreasonable demands of illegally self-appointed RF police, we shall continue to lose ground in our attempts to excercise our FEDERALLY LICENCED Privaleges.

73!

de KA0GKT/7
KG6JEV

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2003, 11:37:31 AM »

Yes. In fact, I'm doing in Virginia... and it's a CC&R neighborhood, to boot! My wife and I moved from Northern California to Virginia, last June. We flew out for a house hunting trip in April. Like you, I had used house (5 to 10 years young) on the mind, but she had new house visions dancing in her head. After checking out several older homes and getting the thumbs-down from my wife, she asked our buyer's agent to show us some new homes. As luck would have it, she found one she liked. I made it pretty clear, if the CC&R's restricted antennas and transmitters, we'd pass on the house. Well, I got lucky. This area has some fairly lax restrictions - in fact, none having to do with antennas at all. The city of Hampton permits the installation of a tower, up to 50', without applying for permits. The only restriction is, should the tower fall, it has to fall entirely upon your property. I'm installing my Gap Titan DX in the backyard and some VHF/UHF antennas on the roof.

I noticed another member posted a message about new homes and no trees, or short ones. One good thing about this area, is the city requires builders to leave at least four mature trees on each lot, as the ground is cleared. I had more than that in my backyard, until Isabel removed a couple... This is a very wooded area. I used to have a couple of 80' pines in my backyard. Of course, our brand new home had a huge skylight for a couple of weeks...

Steven / KG6JEV/4
WD0M

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2003, 08:46:37 PM »

Absolutely.  Just bought a new home in a CCR area with convenants on antennas.  Before I bought it, I met with the HOA, made a presentation (with color copies for each board member) on what my installation would look like, showed pictures of other installations, cited what ham radio operatiors do for the community and country.  They had limits of 35 feet for any structure; I asked for a tower that was 55 feet, retractable to 22 feet when not in use - "not in use" being a key phrase.  They asked how often I used it, and I said anywhere from every day for weeks on end, to "once in awhile."  All true.  

Then I told thm that I wasn't buying the house if they didn't approve my request, and that they would have some unhappy sellers to contend with as well.

They approved my request, the 55 foot tower is in place, and everyone is happy.

Joe
WD0M (ex-WL7M)
AH6FC

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2004, 07:37:27 PM »

Unfortunately I must agree. Though the purchase of an old house sounds good, in many areas, particularly in the west 9at least where I'm familiar), there are not any significant number of livable old homes and ALL new developments have antenna restrictions...even the ones that will look like "the projects" in a few years.  Though I'm a bit cynical, it is only because of frustration.  We live on 4 acres where even "transmission" is not legal.  I just put up a vertical, painted desert brown, and am waiting to see what happens.  I guess if they call me on it, i'll take it down and put a tribander on an A-frame in the back of a pick-up truck.  But then, you're not allowed to have pick-up trucks or cars parked in the driveway either....frustrated.  My house is for sale, very nice if anyone is interested. Smiley

bc
AH6FC/7
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: