Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brown Bros Mach Co.  (Read 586 times)
K3MP

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2001, 07:17:34 AM »

I received a Brown Bros Mach Co Model CTL-A, double paddle and straight key for selling my Elmer's estate as a present.  Can you give my any information as to possible age, value.  It has a very light touch which I like.  Would appreciate any information or where to look for info on this.  Thank you...73 de K3MP  Mark
N9DO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2001, 04:50:45 PM »

Mark, the Brown Bros keyer was made of course by the Brown Bros. Machinery Co. of St. Louis, MO. I purchased mine in late 1977 or early 1978. They were bought out by Ham Radio Center sometime in the early 80's and advertised in Ham magazines by Ham Radio Center until they closed their doors, again in the 80's. If you have any QST's, or 73 Magazines or CQ's of that era I'm sure you will find their ads.
73, de N9DO George
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2001, 12:28:21 PM »

Mark,

I have several B.B. keys and key/paddle combos.  My opinion is that until the last B.B. key in the world is gone, NO ONE can claim to have the 'best' key around.

Being and old St. Louisan and a Brown Brothers affectionado I can tell you that there is a reasonably interesting story behind them.

Unfortunately, it's too lengthy to go into here so I would suggest getting with your favorite search engine (Google.com gave me the best results) and do some snooping.  I found a wealth of stuff about them; dates, stories, various models, collectors prices, evolution of designs....etc.

Enjoy your treasure, use it with pleasure and hang onto it until your estate has to deal with it....just like your wise Elmer did.

Bob

K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2001, 12:37:33 PM »

George,
Just a note, the Ham Key by The Ham Center in St. Louis was NOT a carry on of the Brown Brothers keys.

The owner of Ham Center, Bill DuBord (sp?) was a "sparks" op from the word go and wanted to re-start the B.B. keys.  The spring hinge was still covered by patents and un copyable at the time.  

Ham Center came up with the Ham Key design all on their own using as much of the B.B. ideas as possible with out infringing.

Bob

N9DO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 08:40:42 AM »

Bob you are correct about the Ham Radio Center and the Brown Brothers Keyers. I had forgotten there was indeed a difference in the paddle design. To the untrained eye they looked so simular that one would think they were identical, but they were not.
Thanks for correcting me. That brings back many memories about the Ham Radio Center on Olive Ave.
George
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: