Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One Speaker, Two Radios  (Read 1473 times)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2005, 11:14:45 AM »

The 10uF capacitor idea might work, if you're lucky, but normally audio coupling like this should be done with non-polar capacitors only (and not conventional electrolytic/tantalum, polarized caps).  10uF non-polar caps can cost more than a second speaker, easily.

I use headphones, anyway, but good sounding shack speakers don't need to be large or expensive.  The tiny little "Bose" speakers which are about 3.5" in little square enclosures sound unbelievable on any of my ham gear, take up zero space and cost very little -- I picked up four of them at a local garage sale for $10 (for four).

With headphones, it's easier, since there's no power involved.  I use Telex multi-port couplers (passive) which feature an adjustable L-pad on each 1/4" stereo port, and can plug in from one to six sets of headphones and adjust level to each independently.  Works well, sounds great, and cost $10.

WB2WIK/6
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2005, 10:02:54 AM »

True, a properly designed mixer won't put strain on either radio.  Either making one or buying one is more expensive than buying a second speaker, though, and making one, even from a supplied schematic is above the ability level of some hams.  

Not trying to snow on anybodys parade, but connecting electronic items together that aren't meant or made to be connected together is asking for problems, sooner or later.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: