Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to drill a hole for NMO mount??  (Read 4110 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2005, 08:34:39 AM »

Sorry, the end of my first paragraph should have read:

"....if you have the proof the installation was..."
K3CGA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2005, 10:31:50 AM »

I don't want to beat a dead horse but one important bit of information was omitted.  Before you screw down the top brass ring, coat the "O" with silicone grease, not silicone sealant.  This will prevent the "O" ring from catching on a small metal bit and cutting it without you knowing it.  After 25 years in a Motorola shop one learns all the tricks of the trade.

Good luck.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2005, 12:33:48 PM »

K1CJS: If you are not comfortable with doing the work then by all means hire it done. I've never found anything above the head liner in any of my vehicles except the power lead to the dome light. I just run the coax down the post along with that wire. No big deal that I can see.
KG4MAV

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2005, 12:44:10 PM »

I think that if your going to be putting an antenna in, the first thing I would do is disconnect the battery! Then you wouldn't have to worry about setting off the airbags.  All shop manuals say that if you disconnect the battery that you have a less chance of problems.  Not saying you can't do harm to a sensor. Also, I just had a nmo mount put in by my local Motorola shop and it cost $180.00. That included running black and red wires from the battery to the rig.  I am disabled and unable to do the things I used to do.(:>) Anyway hope everyone has a good week
Russ
KG4MAV
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2005, 04:41:35 PM »

All this talk about where things are located in modern vehicles puts emphasis on one very important issue. When you purchase or lease a vehicle, spend the necessary bucks to buy a complete set of shop manuals. Helms Inc. has them for almost any vehicle. A complete set, including actual schematics cost about $150 for the average vehicle. After some 30+ years of mobile operation, this is one item that is of paramount importance. As an added bonus, the last time I traded cars, I actually talked the dealership into including the manuals for no additional cost.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: