Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof Mounted Loop Antenna  (Read 1323 times)
N2UM

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2002, 06:24:37 PM »

We have recently moved into a Florida community that has C&CRs.  I decided to put a loop antenna on the roof to see if it would work.  I stretched out 100 feet of #14 white wire (to match the roof shingles) in a rectangular loop with the upper side of the loop along the peak of the house. I fed it on the side with 450 ohm open wire which was also painted white and brought it in through a window to a tuner.  Last weekend I made 200 contacts and worked all continents including A6, 9K2 and FR5 running 10 watts!  I am flabergasted with it's performance!

Anything will work if you give it a try!

Gary  N2UM/4
DF2DD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2002, 05:41:35 AM »

Take a look at

www.magnetic-loop.de

to get to know all about loops.

vy 73 de Carsten
N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 09:16:21 AM »

Yes, I've done that! Presently, I'm running two wire loops of my own design, stacked, one in the attic, and one lying on the roof above it. It's kicking butt too!
 Yes, they are connected to each other.
K4SFC Larry
P.S. Don't ever be dumb enough to purchase a magnetic loop! I DID. Made a good dummy load though.
K5ML

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 05:41:58 PM »

I read this thread several months ago. Being that I live in a gated community in Arizona with CC&Rs, I decided to put up a large, very stealthy, horizontal loop and get back on the air. The loop I constructed is a little over 400 ft. long. The length of the antenna is not designed. It's just the largest, highest loop I could put up under the circumstances. The east and north legs of the loop run along the property wall a little over 5 feet high. The west leg runs over the roof at a maximum of about 17 feet high and the final leg runs along the south edge of the house under the eaves at about 14 feet high and back down to the southeast corner of the wall. I fed the antenna in the southeast corner with 83 feet of window line into an old Johnson 250 watt Matchbox. My rig consists of an IC-756 Pro III driving a Collins 30L-1 linear.

As fate would have it, I completed the antenna installation a couple of hours before the start of the 2007 ARRL CW DX Contest. According to the experts I have a great NVIS antenna that won't work well for DX at such low heights. Well, surprise! Operating on 40 and 20 meter cw during the contest, I made 80 contacts in 24 countries working just a few hours each day. I worked Singapore, Hong Kong, Norfolk Island, several Russians, New Zealand, Argentina, Ireland and a slew of JA's. I worked well over 90 percent of the stations I heard and got most stations on the first call. I have become a great believer in large loop antennas. I have had beams and quads before so I have a basis of comparison. If you can't or don't want to go to the trouble of putting up a tower and a beam, try a loop. You will be pleasntly surprised.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: