Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daiwa keyer and TS 830 S  (Read 512 times)
K2JF

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2005, 03:43:23 PM »

I just picked up a Daiwa DK 210 keyer and it feels solid - BUT, when I plugged in my Bencher paddles (with the 1/2 inch pug and turned the power on the keyer I get constant set of dots. The Bencher of course has three conductors - one for the ground but the keyer input is not happy for some reason. No matter what I do I cannot get the keyer to send dots and dashes. Do I need to short something out in the plug? What's the secret here???

Got to get this together before the contest this weekend so I can try out my new TS 830 S - which is just sitting there looking pretty!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 03:52:43 PM »

I don't recall the Daiwa keyer well, but I'd recommend:

1.  Remove the Bencher paddle from the circuit altogether, and just short the wires together to see what happens.

2.  Remember you really do need to use all three wires...ground is common, then there's the "dit" wire and the "dah" wire.  If the Daiwa uses a 1/4" plug, it must be a 3-circuit 1/4" plug (three contacts, with a tip, ring and sleeve connection -- the sleeve is always ground or common).

If you can't get it to work properly just touching wires together, it will never work with the Bencher!  If you do get it to work properly just touching wires together and it still sends a string of dits with the Bencher, then you have a shorted connection between the "dit" contact and ground, within the Bencher.  This can happen for many reasons, the most obvious of which is that the contacts are set too close and actually touching, even when you don't press the paddle.  If the contacts are set very close, even a speck of dust or a tiny droplet of moisture on the contacts can complete the circuit and start "sending."  Make sure the contacts are separated, and clean.

WB2WIK/6
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 11:53:48 AM »

Philip -

Standard diagnose questions:

1. What is the Daiwa DK-210 mode switch set at? (Semi-Auto, Auto or tune)

2. With no 1/4" plug in the Daiwa, do you still get dots?

3. IF the dotes only occur with the cable plugged in, then the cause is either a "short" with the 1/4" plug shell or cable itself.  The only other possibility is that one set of contacts on the Bencher are actually closed.

4. There was a Bencher BY-1 (upstate NY amateur) that was missing the insulating shoulder washer on one contact post (so it would always have a closed "grounded" dot contact)  He bought it used - and refused to call or write Bencher for the inexpesnive part (he also seemed incapable of finding the part at local hardware stores)

w9gb
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 11:55:27 AM »

A VOM or DVM is a very useful tool to quickly diagnose the root cause for reapirs.

gb
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: