Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An intro, +using a Yaesu mic with a Kenwood radio?  (Read 527 times)
VE3ECMW2

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2006, 11:30:13 AM »

Hi friends.

I'm still pretty new to ham radio. Have had a license for a few years now. Had lots of fun with FRS prior, wondered how I could get more power and range, a friend introduced me to the hobby. Started out like many hams on 2m/70cm. Had a great time... played with HF a bit, never really got into it until a little while ago.

So I've gone out and bought a decent used rig, very affordably priced, and should help me make a bunch of QSOs.

I'm connecting a TS-450SAT to a G5RVJR, oriented N-S. I'm located around NYC, so having a N-S orientation sucks, but there's nothing I can do... it's the only way I can string a length of wire.

I digress.

I've noticed there isn't much out there in the way of very 'slick' looking microphones out there for Kenwood radios (of course, that's all a matter of taste).

I'm particularily fond of the Yaesu MD-100A8X desk microphone.

I understand that each manufacturer wires their gear differently, but I'm pretty sure they all use an 8 pin DIN plug.

So if I wanted to use the mic with my Kenwood, is really as simple as finding the wiring schmatic for the Yaesu, cutting off the end, and rewiring the DIN connector to match the Kenwood?

Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Richard
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 12:34:14 PM »

Richard,

Providing the impedences from the microphone are about the same and the output level are in the same ball park you should be able to connect the microphone output, ground and PTT wires to the appropriate pins for the Kenwood microphone connector. Microphone drive level will change and you will have to find the proper drive level.

Also check Heil as well as others who supply after market microphones for most supply the necessary connection cords and connectors for any radio.
VE3ECMW2

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 01:39:07 PM »

Appreciate the help. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 02:50:02 PM »

The Kenwood uses a 600 ohm mic as Standard and the Yaesu is 500 ohm, so,it should be fine. You would need to check the wiring though.

I do think it is odd that you would spend 125 dollars on a mic when you remark that the rig itself was "affordable" . Remember this, the guy you are talking to has no idea what your mic looks like nor does he most likely care, but if it makes you happy......
VE3ECMW2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 04:52:54 PM »

I found a really sweet deal on a mic, and I just like how that specific deskmic looks.

But yeah, you're right. Why spend 20% of what I spent on a rig on just a mic?

I'll give the hand mic a shot and see how my reports are.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 05:02:36 PM »

Richard -

There are a large number of dynamic microphoens (e.g. broadcast, musician/sound reinforcement) taht could be used with your Kenwood.  Alas, the market for "wired" microphones has greatly diminished with "wireless" microphones being used in many performance venues.

Spend a few minutes on Bob Heil's Heil Sound web site -- he has almost every design style.
http://www.heilsound.com/

Heil Sound Amateur Radio catalog
http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/default.htm

w9gb
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: