Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Change PL tone on Kenwood TS 700 SP  (Read 382 times)
KC8VWM

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2006, 10:11:44 PM »

I would like to change the default PL tone of 1.750 Hz. on the Kennwood TS 700 SP.

Suggestions?

N3EF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 05:35:24 AM »

That is not a "PL" tone, or more correctly, CTCSS that is used in modern rigs. On your rig, that is a repeater toneburst, a short high pitched tone that was commonly required on repeaters in Europe. CTCSS is a more advanced system where the tones are transmitted continuously and at frequencies below the human voice. There are various PL encoders that you could purchase and install in your rig or if your interested in only one tone in particular, you can build one yourself. A Google search on "pl encoder" should get you started.
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 05:35:29 AM »

The tone you list is not a PL tone but is the TONE BURST used in other countries to open repeaters. There is NO PL tone of 1750hz. As far as I know the TS-700 did not have PL tone capabilities unless an after market unit was added. Look up CTCSS tones and you will see the correct PL tone listings, 1750 is NOT one of them.

Dan
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 11:17:53 AM »

This is a new rig and I may be incorrect in my question as I am not extensively familiar with it's workings however, the panel button is simply labeled "Tone"

The manual officially calls it a "RPT Tone Frequency"

So this leaves one to question what "tone" as labelled on the rigs front panel is supposed to mean exactly.

Playing around on a simplex frequency and using an HT as a reciever with CTCSS turned on, I scanned for a PL tone on the HT when the "tone" button was activated on the TS 700 rig.

This test revealed that when the "tone" button is depressed on the rig it activates the HT reciever when the PL scan arrived at 179.9

So I suppose my question is can this somehow be changed to activate the HT reciever at say 123.0  instead of 179.9?

Perhaps it is only capable of tone burst operation, but the way I read the manual, it says the button is for operating a "Rpt Tone Frequency"

Sign me off as confused and point me in the right direction.

Smiley Thanks
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 12:16:32 PM »

Regardless of what the manual says 1750HZ is a
"Tone Burst" frequency. Some places in Europe do
use that burst. It is rarely used in the USA anymore
do to the popularity and diversity of PL tones and
Digital codes. If you intend to use your US type
radio in Europe you might want to make sure it
will be legal before it is confiscated by Customs.
73 ,
Tim WA4PTZ
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 07:48:02 PM »

No, I am not travelling to Europe with it anytime soon but thanks for the tip.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 10:08:13 PM »

Charles -

The TS-700SP is a great radio - but remember thatit is a 20 year old radio now (do you drive a 20 year old car?).

Get the owner's & service manuals for the radio  - and read them.  Usually available free in electronci form from either MODS.DK or other sources.  Paper mauals avaialbel from some quality resellers.

w9gb
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 12:13:54 PM »

Thanks. I have the owners manual and schematics for it. This radio might be 20 years old but the radio is like new. I am going to try and find a PL board for it.

73 Charles - KC8VWM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: