Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Outbacker Outreach 500  (Read 489 times)
KB0GIS

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2006, 03:00:13 PM »

This is not a question for an electrical engineer but I just bought an Outbacker Outreach 500 with tripod today at a hamfest. No instructions. The loose wire lead has two male connector ends. One goes into the tap for the band of choice...where does the other end go to?
BTW does it sound like it is all here?...The antenna is two piece about 4 feet each with the top section that houses an extendable whip. The two pieces screw together and into a base which is mounted on the tripod. TNX for replies. Am I missing something for the loose tap to hook to?

Dwight
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 03:09:41 PM »

There is a "common" socket at the bottom of the lower section.  One end plugs in there.  The wire then is wrapped loosely going 'up' and plugs into the band-tap socket as labeled.
KB0GIS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 03:19:51 PM »

There is no socket at the bottom of the lower section HOWEVER in the MIDDLE of the lower section there is a socket labeled WL-67. The remaining sockets are labeled for obvious ham bands. Does the loose wire plug in here? At the bottom of the lower section it is labeled 80 but NO tap. What do you do with the loose wire in this case?
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 04:16:05 PM »

Sorry, I shouldn't have said "bottom" and "lower" in the same sentence.  It IS the 'wander lead' socket.

For some bands, the wire goes DOWN and for the rest it goes UP.
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 04:19:06 PM »

Oh, and on 80 you take the wire off altogether.  That's right ...

I used to own this antenna and sold it a few ayears ago, so my memory is scratchy.  I liked it a lot, but, I just wasn't using it enough to justify keeping it.

One good part of this antenna is that the whip can be easily used as a mobile antenna, if you have a strong enough mount on your car.  It *really* works great this way.  So, one antenna, mounts on either the tripod OR the car.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 10:31:55 AM »

Dwight -

I have an Outback Outreach .. IDENTICAL to yours, etc. for one band coverage and wattage difference.
http://www.alphadeltacom.com/pg5.htm

ALPHA-DELTA is the US Distributor, they have all the inforamtion you require (including instructions and sapre parts).  A Telephone call is the best Support and quick response!

Alpha Delta Communications
P.O. Box 620
Manchester KY 40962
Voice: (606) 598-2029
FAX: (606) 598-4413

You have got this antenna assembled incorrectly !
500 INSTRUCTIONS
http://www.alphadeltacom.com/outii.htm

Outreach Instructions
http://www.alphadeltacom.com/Inst_outrunner.html

The "WL" Wander Lead socket should ALWAYS be oriented to be at the BOTTOM of the LOWER 4' mast section.  The UPPER 4' section screws on to the threads of the lower section and then you have the adjsutable whip anetenna.  It attaches with a ferrule at the UPPER section.

The Bottom mast is a 3/8"x24 SOCKET and you require a 3/8"x 24 long stud to thread into it a standard 3/8" base mount that sits on the Outpost.

IF you are missing parts, Alpha-Delta can orer from Australia or Tower Electronics for common antenna parts.

w9gb
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 10:37:13 AM »

INSTALLING THE OUTBACKERS OUTREACH / OUTRUNNER

INTRODUCTION
Thank you for purchasing the OUTBACKER. Please take a few moments to carefully read these instructions before installing your antenna. This will ensure that your mobile setup works and works well!
Like all the OUTBACKER range, your antenna is constructed of a very tough, yet flexible, fiberglass core. This core is then helically wound with copper wire, which is hand-tuned to the various "tap" points. A coating of clear epoxy resin is then applied. Finally a layer of coloured polyurethane is applied as a protection against the elements. All fittings on the antenna are solid brass and nickel-plated. The 3/8" x 24tpi stud is made of tough, highstrength, stainless steel.

DESCRIPTION OF COMPONENTS
FIBERGLASS MAIN SHAFT - Location of helical coils. Base mounting stud is stainless steel with standard 3/8" x 24 threads.

BAND SOCKETS - Non-corrosive and silver-plated sockets are clearly engraved with band markings. These sockets are used for selecting a band of operation.

WANDER LEAD (W/L) - Insulated length of stranded wire with banana plug on each end. Used for 75m through to 10in operation. One end should be plugged into the WL socket and the other into the desired band socket. Must be wound (counter- clockwise) from the bottom up, with coils evenly spaced and neither taut, nor hanging loosely. Remove completely from antenna for 160m operation. NB :- See Specifications for WANDER LEAD replacement lengths.

STINGER / TIP / TUNING ROD or SPIKE - Steel rod which extends up to 47" out of antenna shaft. Used for fine tuning SWR.

KNURLED LOCKING NUT - Located at the top of the antenna shaft. Used for holding STINGER in place - ringer tighten only!

MOUNTING YOUR OUTBACKER
Correct mounting of your OUTBACKER is of utmost importance to obtain successful antenna performance. Your OUTREACH / OUTRUNNER is not recommended for use with the OUTBACKER OB360 but can be used with any standard 3/8" x 24tpi mount. We highly recommend the Alpha Delta OUTPOST- Tripod/ground coupler ground mount system for use with the OUTREACH.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: