Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lifetime ham licenses?  (Read 1664 times)
VA3BRR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 12:56:33 PM »

My license is good for life.  A few years ago Canada started issueing licenses for life.  

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 01:50:52 PM »

Tnx all for the responses. I agree with just about all the opinions.

I can't imagine for the life of me though why everybody wouldn't like a lifetime call, right? I think those who dissagree must have a problem.  73's Bill
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 02:11:21 PM »

AC6IJ:  I can't imagine for the life of me though why everybody wouldn't like a lifetime call, right? I think those who dissagree must have a problem.

The call signs are lifetime.  The FCC only want's you go acknowledge that you are still alive every 10 years by doing a little tiny bit of paper work and sending in a small fee.

It's not as if you surrender and give up your call sign every 10 years -- indeed, you keep your call sign.  And, with the grace period of, what is it, 2 years, the FCC goes to great lengths to assure that you keep your call sign.

I don't see the problem here.  It is easier to renew your FCC license then it is to pay a few monthly bills and most people do that on a monthly basis.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 08:49:48 AM »

<< I can't imagine for the life of me though why everybody wouldn't like a lifetime call, right? >>

A lifetime license makes absolutely no difference to me. I don't see how doing something only once every 10 years is such a burden. Again, I think the "lazy" factor is at work here.

<< I think those who dissagree must have a problem. >>

What problem? I'm not trying to start an argument, but why does someone have a "problem" if they disagree with you? What kind of "problem" do you think they have?

Lon W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006, 06:16:52 PM »

My quess is to get rid of the dead hams off the records. If I was younger I would be really be pushing for it. I mean when all us old men are dead in 20 to 30 years you could be pointing you how many hams there are even though 1/2 of them dead. Good idea.
Terry
WB4QNG
N0MUD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2006, 10:31:07 PM »

To W3lk, the state of Colorado lets you renew by mail and they use the last picture of you and if your license is renewable then you get a 10 license in the mail. I know the license I now have was done thru the mail.

I agree about the different ways of renewing your HAM license, and even tho all was mentioned except one and that is the VEC application if you can get a 601 or 605 or whatever the number is.  My license is a Vanity and initially cost me $50.00 but I understand it is now just $21.00 and change so when the time is up I will get on the FCC website and do it that way.  Quick, easy and only takes about 15 minutes or so depending on your typing speed and/or spelling.

73's
N├śmud, Colorado Springs, CO.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 09:35:57 AM »

Use to be a FAQ in the exam books.  

It is the difference in legal definitons and recognition by FCC of a STATION license and OPERATOR license.

An amatuer radio license is actually BOTH.

You local television or radio broadcast station is granted a STATION license -- that has to be renewed on a regualr basis (remember the PSA about renewal of your local station's license and you as a resident and citizen can file your comemnts on their renewal with the FCC?).  

Employees (engineers, technicinas and DJs using mixing board/monitoring trasnmitter) responsible for the trasnmiting equipment had to be licensed (old First, Second and Third Class Radiotelephone Operator license) at the station.

w9gb

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: