Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 17 meter antenna,,  (Read 684 times)
KC0OHP

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2006, 08:10:25 PM »

Have done a lot of search engine for,
 finding a suitable antenna for the 17 meter band.  But limit'ed to small real-estate here, at my qth location.

Any information on what I could use, or some company
that makes the 17 meter antenna?  Would like to find something for the phone portion of the 17 meter band.

From 18.110 MHz too 18.168 MHz etc.  Any help or information, greatly appreciat'ed...

Dwight KC0OHP
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 08:19:13 PM »

build a wire dipole, inverted v type,about 12 feet 10 inches on a side feed with coax make a 6 inch 8 or 10 turn loop for a dirty balun and get it up as high as possible what ever you can.. it will work,  make 2 and run 1 north south and the other east west. and talk on which ever is the loudest at any given station.

should cost about $15 bucks if you buy it all, or next to 0 if you have some coax and some wire, ( I like insulated 18 or 20 g) but old 12 g house wire stripped from a bad extension cord will work.. broom stick to hold up center and some fishing line to tie the ends off with..
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 08:21:35 PM »

The way I would approach this problem is the idea of modifying or shortening a 20m antenna for 17m. operation?

Alternatively you could build one.

A quarter wave radiator for 18.100 mhz. is 12ft. 11 - 5/32in.

KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 08:29:13 PM »

Well you could take a piece of wire about 25 feet and 91/2 inches long, cut it in half, fed it with some 50 ohm coax suspend it 30 or more fed high and viola!  A 17 meter dipole.  Or you could take some aluminum tubing about 13 feet and 3 inch long set it upright up 10 or more feet and some 13.5 feet long radials feed with 50 ohm coax and viola! You have a 17 meter quarter wave ground plane vertical.  Or you could build a beam or make a full wave loop.  Or you could make any number of other antennas.  Get an ARRL Antenna handbook and go to town.  You can build a good cheap antenna with just simple hand tools.
GL Allen
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 04:37:19 AM »

Force 12
WB4PPW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 08:27:42 AM »

You can use Two 17mtr ham sticks and purchase a center mount or build one to make a dipole. contact
Cedar City Sales. They have a web site and have a kit for this, the advantage over a fixed dipole is you can rotate it.  
Jess WB4PPW
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 08:57:44 AM »

"Small real estate" doesn't mean anything.

I have very small real estate (property area) and have two towers, with beams.  The base of a tower occupies almost zero property, maybe 9 square feet including the concrete.

So "small real estate" is rarely a reason to not install antennas that can really work.

What, exactly, are you trying to do?

A 17m dipole is only 26' long and can be set up in about 30' of horizontal space.  It has reasonable performance, in two directions.  Is that okay?

Many good verticals occupy a "footprint" of a few square inches and are in the 20'-30' tall range.  They can be installed on the roof of a house, or on the ground.  Most need radials, but those can be buried so once laid down, you'll never see them again.  Is that okay?

There are several small, lightweight 17m beams on the market today and a few 2-band WARC (12m and 17m) or 3-band WARC (12m, 17m, 30m) versions.  A 17m 3L Yagi is only about 28' wide at its widest point, with a boom about 12'-14' long and might weigh 25 lbs.  It could be installed on a small tripod on your roof.  It will run rings around any kind of dipole or vertical, for making contacts and working DX.  Is that okay?

What are you really trying to do?

WB2WIK/6
K5QED

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 09:17:50 AM »

I recently built a 17m ground-plane vertical using copper pipe - A 1" section 50" long, a 3/4" section 21" long, topped with a 102" whip, for a total length of around 174". The copper sections are joined by the appropriate copper reducers, and the whip is mounted to copper cap at the top of the 3/4" section that has a 3/8-24 nut soldered to the inside. The whole thing is mounted on my roof at around 15' above ground level. I used a 1" threaded adaptor to join the base to a section of PVC, and a Radio Shack roof mount ($5) to hold the antenna on the peak of the roof. I added 4, 1/4 wave sloping radials made from stranded antenna wire that I purchased from RS many years ago.

My goal in building this was to experiment with antenna modelling using the demo version of EZNEC (free), and the whole thing has turned out very well.

I have made over 50 DX contacts on 17m, including VR2XMT in Hong Kong who gave me a 5/7 report running 100w SSB (I realize that this is more an indication of favorable propagation than antenna performance, but what the heck, I'll take it!)

Total cost less than $50 - copper is getting expensive.

I would be glad to provide pictures or other construction details -- e-mail me "ckaross at verizon dot net".

As a bonus, tha antenna is also resonant at the lower end of 6m, but does not work as well as my horizontal loop.

Charles
K5QED

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 11:03:42 AM »

an MA5B will go up on a push up mast fixed to the eves of the house, cost about $359 pluse the mast and rotor, and gives you 10/12/15/18/ 20 meters on a compact beam, and sometimes it will tune up on 6  meters too. another option.
NE5C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 03:13:25 AM »

I would agree with an earlier post, Look at the Horizontal square, or Delta Loop, for 17 Meters. AWESOME antenna cut for 17 Meters - not large at all.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 11:06:28 PM »

I used to use a rotatable full-wave loop for 17m; it was  more or less a rectangle, the top and bottom were 1/2" EMT electrical conduit and the sides were 14 gauge copperweld.  I ran a rope over a high tree branch and tied it to the middle of the top horizontal tube.

At the bottom, I ran a rope from each corner to a small (1 foot each leg) T made of plumbing parts mounted on a Radio Shack TV rotator that was near ground level.  It was probably 2-3 S-units better than the 17m vertical I had up at the time, and it wasn't even very high.

It's a simple antenna.

- - - - - -

If you want a bit of gain, the guys over at moxonantennaproject.com seem to have every manner of homebrew 17m Moxon rectangle plans available.

A Moxon will give about 3dB gain over a dipole mounted at the same height, has good front to back and is lightweight and easy to build when constructed the way they're doing it (fiberglass fishing poles and wire elements).

It's a good beginner beam project and can be turned by a TV-type rotator.  It's also a bit smaller turning radius than a 2 element yagi, because the Moxon's ends are bent in a bit.  

I haven't tried one for HF yet, I built a 6m version, and have the poles that I need for a 20m antenna.  I'm on a small lot here, no trees, and it's a rental.  I can put up antennas, but they have to be pretty lightweight because I really have to stick with light push-up masts and fairly temporary installation.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: