Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compaq Ipaq - Bluetooth - Alinco DR-135TP  (Read 664 times)
N9BOW

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2003, 06:33:09 PM »

I want get involved using APRS and transmitting text information via TNC. With that said, I am in the market for a new mobile rig that can do both. I have a couple radios in mind and money is an issue, so I am looking at the Alinco listed in the subject. I have an IPAQ 3870 with integrated Bluetooth. There are on the market Bluetooth Radios that can connect to an RS 232 port. Heres my thinking. Please straighten me out if I am off base. I am a new ham, so I plead ignorance. The shine has not worn off yet.

I would connect (small) bluetooth radio to the back of the 2 meter rig (rear pc connection) I am assuming that connection is RS 232. Maybe someone would know that answer.

Then with a pocket PC with a GPS sleve running a pocket pc applications capable of reading weather station information from a bluetooth capable weather station, beam both the GPS and weather info to the mobile rig.

Trying to get wireless. I would like to be able to send information from outside the truck.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 02:37:12 PM »

It would seem to be feasible to connect a Bluetooth RS232 port device to a TNC equipped mobile rig and send commands/date from your BT enabled Compaq.  The communications between the Bluetooth devices is 2.4GHz and essentially unlicensed but, it is above 220Mhz so it should make the FCC happy.  If the TNC is sending your call at the proper intervals as part of the packet/APRS data stream, the ID requirements are met. I would say to give it a try and report the results back to this thread.

Dennis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: