Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Tuner Recommendations  (Read 347 times)
KE5HJO

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2007, 01:52:27 PM »

I am in the market for a manual tuner for an FT-897D I plan on purchasing.  My antenna is a horizontal sky loop that is almost 1 full wavelength on 160M.  Max wattage is 100.  

I was considering an MFJ-969 roller inductor but I'm open to suggestions.  Something in the $100 range for my limited budget.

Thanks.

Mike
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 03:20:04 PM »

seems nice, lots of features, but it costs $80 more than your budget, were you planning on getting a used one?
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 03:36:30 PM »

I got a used Kenwood AT-200 for $100 at a swapmeet, it's very cool! Has a power/SWR meter, connectors for more than one antenna, plus dummy load (you attach a dummy load to that connector) and terminals for longwire, and seems to do a very good job.

Kenwood, Yaesu, Drake, Ten-Tec, etc all made these manual tuners and they're all built like battleships. Life is too short to use MFJ.

If you don't mind going a hair over $100, the LDG Z-100 autotuner is a good choice.
WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 04:04:01 PM »

I have had a Dentron Super Tuner for over 25 years. It will tune anything. If you can pick one up used some place. I would highly recommend it.
Terry
WB4QNG
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 06:51:33 PM »

you should be able to find a good used LDG autotuner that handles 100 watts on the Ebay for around  $100 or so.   I use a  Z11 with the scout ( 50 watts) , an AT-100 MP for the omni d ( 100 watts), a  AT 1000 for the ts 2000/ als 600 setup ( 600 watts).
I have multiple antennas and can use any rig on any antenna and I don't have to fuss with manual tuning. I do a little contesting and don't want to spend the day adjustin tuners, I just push the button.

the 746 pro has its own IC-2 KL amp (500-800 watts ) and a AT500 to match it. and I use a LDG Z-100 for the corsair II.

for a manual tuner, I have had good luck with the MFJ stuff. be sure to get a newer model ( black case with dual cross needle meters) rather than an older one ( brown and beige with single needle meter and a push in to set, pull out to check knob) tey old ones have not been made for years and are not nearly as good as the black one.

I also have a Dentron AT 2000 MT wich will handle legal limit amps and tune most anything. but they run $150 - $200 on the used market ( also look for the AT 3000 MT)

Or buy yourself a brand new LDG Z-100 for $149 new at Ham Radio Outlet, and know exactly what you have.( handles 100 watts just fine.)

good luck, and you will find an autotuner is worth the $
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 06:55:49 PM »

I forgot, but LDG also makes a  AT-897 specifically for the FT-897, which gets its power from the cat port on the radio, and it is made justfor this setup, so you can hook it on and go portable using the rigs internal battery. about $200

for the money, I would still reccommend the Z-100 because you can use it on your next radio too.
KE5HJO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 07:15:52 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.  The LDG equipment will not work for me because I am using a 450 Ohm window line instead of coax.  Therefore, I need a balance line connection on the tuner.  

I plan on buying a used tuner just to meet my budget so if anyone has a balanced line, roller induction, tuner for sale just let me know (I know this is not the classified section but the comment fit here ).

Thanks!

Mike
BOOKERGLOVERN5ARA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 07:43:42 PM »

Hi Mike

You can use an LDG tuner with ladder line , I do. Just take some coax and connect it to the feed line(twin lead connectors are available). Ground to
one side, conductor to the other. Connect the tuner to the coax, mine goes thru a two position ant switch first.
KE5LDO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 08:30:13 PM »

I have an old working excellent condition Yaesu FC -707 that I will sell for $75.  You pay for shipping. Postal Money order Please. Look it up under the product reviews.
N0NB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 08:13:10 PM »

In late 1992 I bought the MFJ Differential-T tuner (MFJ-986) to feed my center-fed Zepp.  It works very well and is quite easy to tune having only two knobs.  Unfortunately, from what I've noticed at hamfests, the controls aren't as smooth as mine, although I have regreased the roller inductor bearings with petroleum jelly in the past.

It's claimed to be a 3 kW PEP tuner and I did arc it one night in a DX contest at another hams place with his AL-1200,  D'oh!  I cleaned up the spots on the roller and the inductor and it works fine with 100 W.  I've made a lot of QSOs with it over the past 14+ years.

73, de Nate
Bremen, KS

SKCC 6225
KE5HJO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 04:24:31 AM »

KE5LDO

"I have an old working excellent condition Yaesu FC -707 that I will sell for $75. You pay for shipping. Postal Money order Please. Look it up under the product reviews"

Can you send me the specifications for this FC-707?  If so, send them to "ke5hjo AT arrl dot net"

Thanks.

Mike
KE5HJO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 05:23:16 AM »

Thanks to everyone for the input on tuner selection.  I've ordered an MFJ-969 tuner.  It should arrive by this Friday.

Thanks again.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: