Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to buy a new HT dual band or tri band  (Read 577 times)
KI4HBX

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2007, 06:37:53 PM »

Please give me some advice on wich brand and modle to buy. Cost is not a factor.
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 06:47:55 PM »

The best thing would be for you to go to the review section and see what people are saying about different radios.  Here, you are probably going to get a different answer for each person who replies.  I've got an Icom T90A that I like that's a tri band.  Some people like it, some don't - I do.  Everyone likes something different, though.  It's best to either try some out, or go by whatever has the best reviews.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 07:20:19 PM »

I have either 9 or 10 ht's  each has a different purpose for me.  One has 6m, 2m 440 mhz and 1.2g on it, , another has 6m 440 and 2m on it, several are dedicated monobanders for 2m, 440 mhz and also 220 mhz and a couple are dual banders some are tiny for easy to carry, and some are bigger for long time between charges.

some hook up to a gps  antenna for aprs, and some are just very cheap and used for loaners to new hams.

so almost any of them are fine. Figure out how you are going to use it and select one good for that purpose.  

most all new multibanders are just fine, so pick one that fits your needs.  do a search on the eham product reviews and see how they hold up.  Or just buy a cheap used one on ebay.

good luck and have fun.

( I would reccommend not a HT but something like a FT -857d for an all band all mode rig you can use at home, and in the car, and be ready when you upgrade to general.)
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 09:54:41 PM »

Good advice would be to check rviews, but on some new products your resources are limited resulting in missing out.

I just received the Icom 91AD which is a dual band with new D-Star capability. Even if you don't run digital repeater's now you have the option later.

Icom in my experience has been great. About 12+ products and none with problems. This dual band ht functions flawelesly.

Only one with band scope like the 756pro hf rigs is an awesome feature coming in handy everytime. Anttenuator is unbelievable when it comes to intermod, or near by stations qrm'ing. Modulation output is fantastic getting great reports everytime. Audio output from speaker is great. Very easy to funtion is a no brainer. Construction is rugged. It doesn't feel like your holding a toy, or plastic junk like it's going to break with one drop like other brands. Great output power levels. Great reciever on the AM short wave, and FM bands. Forgot your walkman? no problem just pull out the ht. It slim and fits in palm of hand. Battery life is fantastic. A ham W2KRP say's that he has had the Yeasu VX7, and new Kenwood F6A, and say's his Icom 91AD blows them away. He doesn't miss the 220 band. He love's his Icom.

Grant it I am an Icom fan, because I've never had a problem with any rig, and their reviews speaks for itself even in a popularity contest for good reason I'm sure.

What more can I say? Icom really did a fantastic job with this HT.

I rate this HT 5/5.

73 & good luck with decision.
N4LI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 05:02:55 AM »

Before giving any specific advice, it might be useful to know how you are planning to use this radio.  Are you using it as a primary radio, in the woods, on your desk at work, etc.?  Are you interested in monitoring other bands?  Is APRS something you want?

The variation among HTs is almost limitless.  I have many HTs, and frankly, rarely use them.  I'll see an ad, and think, "that looks cool," and order it, only to let it gather dust.  I have one or two that get most of the use -- mainly on bicycles and in rental cars.

The good news is that most of the products of the Big Three (and Alinco, I guess) are fine radios.  I am sure you'll be happy with what you get.  The difference will be features, and discerning among those is a function of use and lifestyle.

Peter, N4LI
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 07:57:26 AM »

Since money is no object, get 2 Motorola XTS5000s.  They're about the best you can get.  One VHF and one UHF.  They run about a grand+ a piece on the used market.  Smiley
WA2DTW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 11:16:23 AM »

In my opinion, the Kenwood TH F6A is unbeatable.  Up to 5 watts FM on 2 meters, 222 and 440, with two receivers.  Also general coverage receiver way up into the UHF range (needs proper antenna).
If you want to do APRS, then the Kenwood TH D7, which does not do 220.  Probably 6 meters is not so great on an HT, since the "rubber duck" antenna is so inadequate for that band.
If digital is what interests you, then see other posts.
73 and good luck
Steve WA2DTW
WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 05:28:02 PM »

Check and see if there is any activity on 440 and 220 before you spend your money on the dual or tri band radio. I was going to buy a dual band but I found an old r/s htx 404 cheap. I purchased that and found while I can hit 4 or 5 repeaters there is no using them. Glad I didn't waste my money. While I think every one should have an HT I wonder how much they are really worth. I know I keep looking at the new small HT and think how nice they would be. Then I look at my old ADI at-201 and all it does it sit on my desk most of the time so I guess I will keep it.
Terry
WB4QNG
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 09:59:27 PM »

All the other advice is good, but go to a local club meeting, and see what repeaters are most active in YOUR area, and what model HT's are most popular. All of them have their idiosyncracies about programming, and many you'll just want to do with PC software. I second the motion about 6 meters. Find out if 22O is in use in your area before buying an HT with that coverage.
Fred, KQ6Q
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 12:27:57 AM »

I have the Icom T-90. Nice little radio.  
DO get a hand held that at least has two meters and 440 Mhz.......    If you ever want to cross band repeat from a mobil or base that would be a must to have. As already mentioned, 220 or 6 meters is best checked local to see what is going on.....  Do not expect much out of a 6 meter hand held of any brand.
I also have a little Yaesu VX-2 that I use more than the T-90!    Kind of depends on your situation and how much power you really need from a little hand held.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: