Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SWLers do QSL cards or no?  (Read 278 times)
KAISERSOUSE

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2007, 02:45:07 PM »

Are QSLs only for people who actually make contact and have a conversation, or can SWLers send cards to Hams that they hear talking back and forth?  I post this realizing there is a high chance its a stupid question. As a kid I was under the impression that people listening could send and receive cards as "proof" that they heard a station in a far away land.  At the same time, when I was a kid I thought transmitting on a bare wire antenna would = structure fire so....
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 02:48:48 PM »

I've received occasional SWL cards.  Most have details of both stations in the QSO you heard (you only need to hear one side but you should put in both callsigns if you can so the station you're sending to can look the QSO in question up in the log easily)

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 03:00:32 PM »

Sure; that's why a proper QSL card has a way to indicate a 1x (one way) or 2x (two-way) QSO on it.
K0ZN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 03:15:08 PM »

Sure... you can send a QSL card (often just called a "Reception Report" for receive only situations) to
 any station, including Commercial stations and many of them will return the QSL.

You can send an SWL QSL to hams, however, I must be candid, and tell you that the return rate may not be as high as you would expect. Unfortunately, some hams only QSL other hams.... not really polite or nice, but it happens. Ironically, you will probably get the highest rate of return from the hams operating on CW as they tend to be the most "old school". (i.e. gentlemanly and friendly as ham radio was "back in the day" when the exchange of QSL cards after a QSO was kind of a common courtesy.)

73,   K0ZN
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 04:04:04 PM »

Prior to getting my license, I would tune around the Broadcast HF Bands and listen to the BBC, VOA, Radio Moscow, etc, etc. and even to those you could send in a reception report and they'd send back QSL cards.  Their engineers are interested in how their signals are propagating also.

In years past, not sure about these days, many EU stations had to be SWLers for a year or so or collect so many SWL cards prior to being able to get their amateur license.

Not a silly question at all.

Phil
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 04:29:09 PM »

I still do a fair amount of SWL'ing and my last QSL card came from an AM BC station a few months ago.

Here's the "covert" SWL shack where it all happens:

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~kc8vwm/boatanchor/MVC-010F.JPG

However, I recall sending a few reception reports to hams in the past but it seems they are only interested in QSL'ing other hams and not SWL's though. At least this seemed to be my impression at the time and I haven't tried again since.

I became a ham many years later but I still am an SWL at heart. Therefore I will happily QSL any signal reports from SWL's in the future because I was there at one time in the past.

Who knows, perhaps some other hams feel the exact same way nowadays too. I know I do.

73 de Charles - KC8VWM
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 05:17:14 PM »

I will respond to swl qsl card, but be sure to put either the  call of who I worked, ( so I can check my log) or the time and date, Perefer  it in UTC as most folks log that way, but I can figure it out the other way if you tell me what time zone, date and daylight savings yes or no.

WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 05:25:03 PM »

Back 25-30 years ago when I was in high school and college and very active in this hobby I received a few QSL cards from far away non-ham listeners. Even at that young age, I was always happy that anyone took the time to send me a card describing my contact with another far away station. I always thought that reciprocating with my own QSL was common courtesy and the proper thing to do. Besides, my part time job allowed me to splurge on a stamp or two.

I have not been very active during the last 20 years so I am sorry to hear that common courtesy and camaraderie is now being referred to as "old school" or "how things were back in the days." But again, I did have to learn the code and pass all my exams at the FCC office. Good grief, maybe I am a dinosaur.......

So of you ever hear WY4J on the air send me a QSL and you will receive mine 100%.
W7FRS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 05:40:33 PM »

If I ever get an swl card or letter, I'll send one in return to acknowledge it.  
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 05:59:41 PM »

I've received perhaps half a dozen over the years and yes I always respond.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 05:59:44 PM »

I'll return the courtesy as long as I can verify a QSO in my log.  The other station I worked is a big help, and the time, date, and frequency has to be accurate.  (Wonderful idea, a log.  I wonder if anybody else has thought of keeping one...  <GRIN>)
    The only QSO's I don't log are routine local VHF/UHF FM contacts.  And I don't do FM much any more, repeater or otherwise.  Just an occasional local net if I remember.
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 12:17:27 AM »

Keep in mind that some hams won't even QSL other hams, and it's even worse for hams overseas.  But it's always worth a shot.  I personally respond to every QSL I get, as long as it's in the logbook.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 07:31:25 AM »

I always respond even if that response must be "Not In Log".  That way they know that I did received their confirmation request.

Like the other gentleman mentioned, I log everything except repeater contacts and local VHF/UHF nets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: