Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40m ssb net maybe?  (Read 643 times)
KG4OLW

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2007, 10:20:27 PM »

I can not seem to find any one on 40m ssb at night, I do a little cw rag chewing but no ssb. There seem to be quite a few patches of frequencies clear of am carrier wine and heavy qrm, however I never hear anyone on them. I never hear anyone calling cq, and no one answers my cq's. I even attempt to call and listen split in the european band segment however still nothing. Do people use 40m at night or do they just resign it to the broadcasters?

I work long hours and rarely get on during the day and 20m is cooked during the night. 80m is full of clicks of people who know each other and don't seem to want to admit new members to their group generally. I chew the rag on 40 cw all night and make plenty of contacts on the novice portion, however I do ocasionally want to use that Heil mike I talked myself in to purchasing at the last hamfest, and daytime operation is out of the question for me most days.

Since it appears very few are using the American portion of the 40m band at night, I propose a net on 40m at night somewhere in the general portion of the band. Maybe we can call it the Elmers net and help out the noobs since their are a lot of /ag's on the air now. We can make it a friendly round table net for rag chewers and lets take back our 40m band!

I would be interested in a rag chewing elmers net on 80 meters as well, if that interest the forum here.

I am really looking forward to suggestions and participation this could be fun! My hours are very good during the week nights from dark to about 1am, and weekends to about 4am hi hi!  
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 11:43:47 PM »

check out the HHH net on 7.235  at 0700 utc. nice folks
WR8D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 08:05:17 AM »

40m gets really "long" at night. With all the broadcast world wide coming in it can be sometimes hard to find ssb traffic. Some are there but not crowded at all and you just have to hunt around between the big broadcast stations to find them. Need real good filters too. 73 John WR8D
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 10:10:21 AM »

I believe the Nighthawks net is on in the early evening.
KC5NNH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 10:15:46 AM »

I too look for some ragchews on 40 at night.  Maybe we should schedule something?  I'm willing to get a group going.  Name a frequency and time and I'll try to be there.

KC5NNH John
KG4OLW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 10:25:42 AM »

Well I am available all night, so please everyone make suggestions for frequencies and times.
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 11:12:02 AM »

7.178 0200Z
Actually there is quiet a bit on forty. Problem is that the skip is long and those that you could hear are bothered by a foriegn broadcast that you don't hear. The frequencies that some nets use are seldom clear on both coasts.
Glen
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 05:57:17 AM »

You might try the OMISS net which is on at 0100 every night.Usually at 7.185 or 7.188. It is a very relaxed worked all states type of net that does not require membership to participate. We usually end up with 30 to 50 checkins. Even with the crappy conditions I have WAS by the date of admission to the union, the award is called the Statehood award so there is life on 40 after sunset, hope to see you there.
Bob, N4JTE
N0XMZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 06:56:38 AM »

I too have often wondered "where is everybody?" on 40m in the evenings. Announce a freq. & time and I'll be there (provided I'm home from work at that time).
KA3CTQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 08:01:56 AM »

As Bob said, there is the OMISS net at 0100Z on 7.188. Runs every night of the week. They also have a net on 80M.

There have been alot of /AG's checking in lately and have made a few contacts. Just jump right in and have some fun.
N5LXI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 02:45:26 AM »

The band have not been good lately. Here a few freq's to check out:

3905 Century Club about 7.2385 (has an early and late net)

HHH 7.235 MHz at 7:00 Zulu

More info on HF nets at me web site.

joel / N5LXI

http://www.n5lxi.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: