Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on 40 meters and Icom-718  (Read 376 times)
ROBFINDLAY

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2007, 01:58:10 AM »

I think I'll be able to grab my General ticket in a month or two more studying, here's a question,

I have heard that even at this deadspot in the solar cycle that guys have been able to work really good QSO's  on 40-meters with INDOOR antennas.  

Any truth to this?

Also where's the best place to look for a used IC-718?

Rob

p.s. I bought the ARRL Operators manual and will be getting the omnibus ARRL handbook soon, that massive 50 dollar monster, (from what I understand it covers everything in the antenna books and a couple of the other ones.) This one here: http://www.amazon.com/Arrl-Handbook-Radio-Communications-2007/dp/0872599760/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7868412-2634304?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174553716&sr=1-1
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 04:04:11 AM »

Rob you may want to look on eBay for an ARRL Handbook from a couple of years ago; any within the last 4-6 years will still have tons of info that you need and be less cost than a new one.
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 04:16:12 AM »

used gear can be found all over the web. try, qth.com
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 04:40:50 AM »

"(from what I understand it covers everything in the antenna books and a couple of the other ones.) "

It covers a lot, but certainly not everything, considering that the Antenna book is just a tiny big smaller than the Handbook.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 05:34:29 AM »

work really good QSO's on 40-meters with INDOOR antennas.

Any truth to this?

Yes, and on 20 also
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 06:12:31 AM »

> work really good QSO's on 40-meters with
> INDOOR antennas.

Two key terms would apply to this concept: possible, and probable.

Yes, it's possible.  It's possible to win the lottery.  But, is it probable?  Put a 40M indoor antenna up and let us know how it goes.

"Everything Works" - Tom, N6BT

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 06:22:07 AM »

"guys have been able to work really good QSO's on 40-meters with INDOOR antennas"

LOL.  

If you have an indoor 40 meter antenna, *ANY* QSO is a 'really good QSO' !!
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 06:33:19 AM »

Rob,

40m is great.  Indoor antennas are not.  They'll still work some DX if you're lucky, but you're not stuck with indoor antennas...

Put down 30 wire radials each 20 feet long on the yard.  Buy a 31' Jackite fiberglass pole and wind a wire around it about 1 turn per section, maybe a little more.

Now you've got a 40m vertical antenna that will work the world.  It's worth pointing out that the guys who do amazing stuff on 40m with indoor antennas are almost certainly using CW ... to use SSB and make DX contacts you'll need a little more *oomph* and a full size quarterwave will do that.

Congrats and good luck in the General

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KD5PKS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 07:42:05 AM »

Rob, I would suggest checking QTH.com, eHam, QRZ, ARRL.net , and even eBay for used rigs. I bought a used 718 from an ad on the ARRL classifieds for $300 plus split the shipping. I think it was less than $310 altogether. That was a very good deal. I was surprised that the radio had the DSP board installed because of the lower price. They typically sell for $450 ish. it's a nice modern rig that I have been happy with. I primarily use it for PSK31 and as a portable rig for emcomm or Field Day.
Be patient when looking for a used rig and you will find deals. All of those sites get more listings on the weekends so start paying closer attention on Friday and early Saturday. I have bought several radios from hams on all of the sites listed and have never been burned. One bit of advise is to be suspect of a ham who lists something to be 'guaranteed not DOA' (whatever that means) but sold 'as is' or 'unable to test'. Finally, be careful of non-hams selling anything. Good Luck.
KD5PKS
N4CDB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 12:25:18 PM »

Nothing else to say about where to find one, but I'll add that I'm happy with mine. It's a nice little rig. Get a control cable for it and hook it up to Ham Radio Deluxe and I think you'll find them a great combo.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 01:23:56 PM »

go to  ARRL.ORG and in the upper left click on exams, type in your zip code and hit enter. this will bring up a list of ham tests in your local area.  most of these are sponsered by a ham club. they all have a contact person and phone number. call and ask about  the next meeting, for an elmer , how do I ....

some one will take you under their wing.  Please gice it a shot, you can do ham radio for your entire life. it is a good service to be in.
K0CMH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 02:12:32 PM »

I have a 20 meter dipole in my 2nd floor attic.

With an old MFJ941D tuner, I get a good match on 40 meters, and have had "good QSO's" on it.  

No, it is not a GREAT, BEST, BEATS ALL, antenna, but it works pretty well for being indoors.

If you can get a dipole in an attic, it may work as well for you.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 03:10:05 PM »

It depends, of course, on what you consider a "really good" QSO.

With a dipole in the attic, where it can be almost full-sized (even if
the ends have to bent around a bit) or laying on the roof you should be
able to have regular contacts around the western US, and sometimes
further.  Granted, there aren't a lot of major metropolitan areas other
than Denver in the immediate vicinity, but with good conditions you
should be able to work some of the multitude of west coast hams.
More antenna height is better, of course.  If you are happy chatting
with such hams, it should work fine.  You probably won't work a lot
of DX stations, however, unless you redefine DX to mean an occasional
Ohio or Florida contact.  But you can have a lot of fun, and Utah is uncommon
enough that you'll be the first contact there for a number of hams.

On a contest weekend such as Field Day when there are plenty of
stations on who are looking for stations to work, you should be able
to work most of the US and Canada at some point during the day or
night.  You'll do better with a higher antenna, but there is always room
for improvement.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 04:30:53 PM »

As we head into the summer, static crashes become more audible.  At times the low bands, like 40, are unusable.

You might have more FUN by looking first for the best antenna you can make or find for 20 meters.  After that, experiment by making additional antennas.

The BIG secret is that its a lot of FUN to experiment making antennas.  Plus, while you experiment, you learn a lot!

One ticket down, 2 to go.

Bob
WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 05:32:57 PM »

Attic antenna's will work but outdoor antenna's are better. As for as used IC-718's the ones I see are going from around $400 to $450. I think R&L has them for around $525 new. I think I would rather spend the extra 75 to 125 and get me a new one. You have a warrenty and you will know what you have. Just my thoughts.
Terry
WB4QNg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: